Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED light question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
haasman
Installed LED bulbs in my 70 914-6. Really like their brightness. Especially these days when drivers tend to brake only after seeing a third high mounted brake light of modern cars.

I installed yellow LEDs for the rear turn signals and when operating, yellow comes through the red taillight lenses! Unexpected surprise. Used red LED for the brake lights and wow, do they pop.

My question- in the front after installing yellow LED bulbs, when using a right turn-signal the left bulb also glows, though not as bright. Left turn signal works great and the right one doesn't indicate anything.

With 4-way hazard lights, all operate properly. I systematically checked the grounds at each light housing.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Haasman
rothaus
QUOTE(haasman @ Sep 24 2017, 11:34 PM) *

Installed LED bulbs in my 70 914-6. Really like their brightness. Especially these days when drivers tend to brake only after seeing a third high mounted brake light of modern cars.

I installed yellow LEDs for the rear turn signals and when operating, yellow comes through the red taillight lenses! Unexpected surprise. Used red LED for the brake lights and wow, do they pop.

My question- in the front after installing yellow LED bulbs, when using a right turn-signal the left bulb also glows, though not as bright. Left turn signal works great and the right one doesn't indicate anything.

With 4-way hazard lights, all operate properly. I systematically checked the grounds at each light housing.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Haasman

Did you check if it does the same with the old bulbs, on the front turning signal ?

Cheers
Engelbert
Olympic 914
I had the same problem when I installed my LED lights. I was getting a "ghost" flash on both sides.

you make a Y piece and install it as shown here. > http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=272915&hl=

That should solve your problem.
jim_hoyland
Whch bulbs did you use on the rears ? Vendor site ?
haasman
I bought them off of eBay- Super LED or www.superbrightleds.com

Its been a while but I beleive I installed the 1156-CW18-T Cool White and 1157-A18-T Amber

Haasman

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 25 2017, 04:50 AM) *

Whch bulbs did you use on the rears ? Vendor site ?
haasman
Thank you for this solution. Will check it out this weekend.

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Sep 25 2017, 04:42 AM) *

I had the same problem when I installed my LED lights. I was getting a "ghost" flash on both sides.

you make a Y piece and install it as shown here. > http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=272915&hl=

That should solve your problem.

Spoke
QUOTE(haasman @ Sep 25 2017, 12:17 PM) *

I bought them off of eBay- Super LED or www.superbrightleds.com

Its been a while but I beleive I installed the 1156-CW18-T Cool White and 1157-A18-T Amber

You'll have more efficient light output if you match the LED color to the lens color. LEDs in particular have very narrow wavelength output thus much of their light output may be filtered out by a lens of the wrong color.

The bulbs listed above are white (1156 rear turnsignal?) and amber (1157 front turnsignal and brakes?). Although you do mention using red LEDs for the brakes.

About the ghosting, likely your tachometer turnsignal indicators are flashing together. The series connection of the tach indicators is powering the opposite side's turnsignal. The Y-pigtail on the tach is an easy mod. Send me a PM if you have any questions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.