Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 123Ignition Distributor vs. Pertronix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pvollma
I recently had to replace my Pertonix module, probably due to having the ignition key in the "ON" position for a period of time, which, I've read, can cause the unit to fail. In researching alternatives, I was wondering if the 123ignition distributor would also be susceptible to this failure?
IronHillRestorations
The IgnitorII is supposed to be able to "live" through this.

Your best bet will be 123igntion.com

I doubt if there's enough guys here with experience on the 123 distributors. Nice units though
pvollma
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Sep 25 2017, 02:21 PM) *

I doubt if there's enough guys here with experience on the 123 distributors. Nice units though

The failed module was a PNX-91847V, which should be the Ignitor II. It was installed in 11/2013, so it's been running for about 4 years and 8,000 miles.
The 123ignition website does mention, in the specs for the unit:

"time-out: after 1 second current is switched off"

Would this be something to protect it from leaving the ignition on? I heard about 123ignition here on 914World, so I'm hoping someone has experience with it.

Thanks for you help!

PS: I have one of your umbrella covers, really a great product for those of us who prefer to keep the targa top in the trunk most of the year!
porschetub
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Sep 26 2017, 07:21 AM) *

Perry is correct about the Ignitor II ,I've personally never had an issue with the Ignitor I unit,I have noticed some using the wrong coils with them,don't think that would help.

pvollma
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 25 2017, 03:10 PM) *

Perry is correct about the Ignitor II ,I've personally never had an issue with the Ignitor I unit,I have noticed some using the wrong coils with them,don't think that would help.

New coil was installed with the Pertronix, their PNX-45011. Maybe the module just decided to quit?
IronHillRestorations
At least it wasn't 2 weeks out of warranty. It's always a hassle. I've kind of gone full circle on the ignition thing. I know Mr. Raby only uses the 123 Ignition, nothing else for carb'd air cooled engines. If it fits your budget, I'd go with that.

Glad you like the cover. Born out of my own need, and most every 914 needs one biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.