Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COA Question for a 1971 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
sbartmess
I just received my COA from PCNA for my 914-6. It lists the following for the Optional Equipment:
  1. US Equipment
  2. Tinted Side Glass
  3. Center Arm Rest Console
  4. Light Metal Wheels
  5. Uniroyal Tires
My question is, what are the "Light Metal Wheels"? Would they have been Fuchs or Mahle wheels? Or something else other than 5-bolt steelies?

Thanks,

Scott
lalee914
QUOTE(sbartmess @ Sep 25 2017, 06:10 PM) *

I just received my COA from PCNA for my 914-6. It lists the following for the Optional Equipment:
  1. US Equipment
  2. Tinted Side Glass
  3. Center Arm Rest Console
  4. Light Metal Wheels
  5. Uniroyal Tires
My question is, what are the "Light Metal Wheels"? Would they have been Fuchs or Mahle wheels? Or something else other than 5-bolt steelies?

Thanks,

Scott

Well, I looked thru a bunch of COAs in my database and found only 2 references used on COAs to wheels. Most frequent was "Light Metal Wheels" as in your COA and the other reference was to "Full Disk Chrome Wheels" More often than not, there was no reference to what wheels the car came with. There were a very few COAs that specified the size of the wheels and they always seemed to be 14" Light Metal. I guess it would be impossible to determine Fuchs or Mahle wheels from the COA.

In all the COAs there were very few references to tires and no other COA in my database had a mention of Uniroyal Tires. Any mentions of tire brands were usually Michelin or Dunlop. There was one car that its COA said came with Dunlop Racing tires. Very curious.

I didn't count but I probably looked at 50 or so different COAs.

Larry
sbsix
My 914-6 COA lists Light Metal Alloys referencing the original 14" Fuchs forged rims.
arne
My prior career in tires makes me tend to think of 14” when I think of Uniroyal Europe tires for that car. I don’t recall seeing many Uniroyals in the small 15” sizes. Not definitive by any stretch, but it would tend to support the 14” Fuchs option.

Another thought. Seems to me that when I see these description, “Light Metal Wheels” generally are forged Fuchs. The other alloy options are generally referred to as “Cast Metal Wheels”, or so it seems to me.
sbartmess
Thank you to everyone who replied here. My suspicions have always been around the 14 inch Fuchs, but I figured they would have used the word "alloy" for one and the other would have been the Mahle wheel. At least I know they weren't the steel rims with hubcaps.

Thank you all!
SirAndy
I'm leaning towards the 14" Fuchs but have nothing to back that up ...
smile.gif
Racer
-6 here with "light metal wheels" too.. 14" Fuchs came on the car.

Update on 10/12: This was not true on my car.. I thought it said "light metal wheels", but I re-read my new COA vs the COA from 1992. The two spell out the same info, but my older COA mentions 5 1/2 x 15 chromed steel wheels.. the newer COA doesn't mention the size, only metal wheels. My dad confirmed that the car did have steel wheels, but he had the dealer swap them for 14" Fuchs... so, now I guess I need to find some correct date stamped Steel Wheels for my 914/6!
SKL1
Unless I'm mistaken, the Mahle wheels would be 15" as well, not 14" like the OEM Fuchs.
I don't ever remember seeing any other alloy wheel (like "gas-burner" etc) being anything but 15".
sbartmess
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Oct 3 2017, 06:55 PM) *

Unless I'm mistaken, the Mahle wheels would be 15" as well, not 14" like the OEM Fuchs.
I don't ever remember seeing any other alloy wheel (like "gas-burner" etc) being anything but 15".

Thank you all for the knowledge! This car is going to be a lot of fun to learn about the little details. Thankfully not many of them are missing.
sixaddict
So to me I see some illogical conclusions being drawn here. First there is no mention of 14 or 15 inch wheels...however if the car came with fuchs they are 14....
If it came with mahle ( gas burners ) they are 15.
I have two COAs
The 70 car does not mention wheels but has Fuchs ( I know that is inconclusive)
The 71 states "light metal wheels" and they are 15" Mahles
According to Brett Johnsons book the cars either came with:
Steel painted 5 1/2 x 15" chromed optional
Fuchs 5 1/2 X 14"
Mahles 5 1/2 X 15 ( ( @ 10 lbs)
M471 6 X 15 Fuchs
I am fairly certain light metal is the Mahle.
Just my 3 cents
gms
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 3 2017, 06:02 PM) *

I am fairly certain light metal is the Mahle.
Just my 3 cents

I have has two 914/6s with "Light metal wheels" (on COA) and they both had the 14" fuchs
sixaddict
I suspect the real question in all of this is what does the factory actually designate as "lmw". Glen is normally well informed.

So on the COA how do they categorize Fuchs vs. Mahles. ........anyone ?
Racer
Also consider that the info on the COA has changed over the years. What was perhaps more detailed on an earlier version is now not as detail oriented, based on my own experience between a 1992 COA and a 2016 COA for the same car!

I know that the "Kardex" system was phased out but I wonder if some if the "early" COA's were based on internal kardex like information and later ones are tweeked as a result of Data input/software conversions etc. And nowadays, some infomation that you would want to have, you must confirm when submitted your request, vs being validated, or not validated by the returned COA.

So.. Light metal wheels?
larryM
simple translation from german to english welcome.png

Leichtmetallfelge = alloy wheel

Leichtmetall {n}

light metal

alloy wheel
Alufelge {f}
Leichtmetallrad {n}

light alloy wheel
Leichtmetallfelge {f}

"light metal" meant alloys back then (written "alu" in my german TUV k'brief) -

those being Fuchs in '70-71

The Info for Sports Purposes document 4890.20-200-03-72 (pp 33-35) shows the 914/6 6"x15 for rallye, with tires spec 185/70-15; and 7"x15 wheels for racing

911 english version brochures of the period specifically say "light alloy"

the 1970 914/6 owner's manual says only 5-1/2x15 J 165-14 & the 1972 factory sales brochure lists only 5-1/2x15 steel for the 914/6 http://coochas.com/brochures/914.html

(see my other post #8 here)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=321421 post #8

https://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/alloy+wheel.html
https://www.dict.cc/german-english/Leichtmetall.html
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Leichtmetallfelge

google is your friend bye1.gif

here is an example in deutsche from the factory German sports purposes manual; the 6x15 was spec for rallye cars, 7x15 for race cars

..Click to view attachment
larryM
check here - post #6 - factory specs - confirms 14" alloys option

from Info for Sports Purposes 4890.20-200-03-72

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=322764

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.