Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should We Have a "Hall of Fame" For 914 Heroes?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larmo63
I think a Hall of Fame for drivers, designers, builders, mechanics, and certain enthusiasts, etc. might be a fun thing to explore.

Larmo63
Richie Ginther?

Click to view attachment
Coondog
All of these guys, minus a few celebs...
Click to view attachment
McMark
I think this is great, especially to respect the contributions of early members back on the email list. There are a lot of people who made 914World and the 914 community what it is today who are forgotten.

I would be willing to collate and organize the info. I see it as something bigger than just a forum thread -- I see it as a whole section of our site.

Since I have a turbo car, it would be great to have the history of some of the early pioneers of turbo 914s.

I know there was also a husband/wife team that really got the 914 commuinity started. I should know those people's names... sad.gif
JeffBowlsby
Barbara LaFarge? cannot think of her husbands name.
McMark
I think that's it. I know SirAndy has a lot of this info stored away in his cranium.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 26 2017, 06:50 AM) *

Alex Buller

Alex and Barbara started the Porsche 914 Club and the 914 Renegade Festivals that were popular in the 90's
RickS
Ralf Meaney definitely belongsClick to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
I'd put Ferry Porsche and Ferdinand Piech first, both for the obvious reasons and because they drove 914Ss (the eight-cylinder cars). Heinrich Klie is another worthy one, as is Hans Mezger for his work on the 914-6 engine and 914-4 2.0 heads. Alex Buller and Barbara LaFarge are great suggestions, too. They did a lot for the 914, and their 1992 weekend in Cambria had a huge impact on my road with Porsche. SirAndy, another. And Richie Ginther is a great suggestion. Hurley, Meaney, EFR, Ballot-Lena, Larrousse, Maas, Forge...basically, anyone who raced a 914 with distinction. And then there are the autocrossers and SCCA racers who kept the 914 at the pointy end of the pack for decades—proving its worth. Key people involved in restoring the cars and their authenticity may be worth honoring, as well. Brett Johnson comes to mind. Bruce Anderson, too.

But the one thing I'd caution is to think about how many names how quickly. Put too many on too quickly and they'll quickly blur. Maybe do an initial slate of 20-50, then induct 5 or 10 more once a year or once a quarter.
sb914
Cap'n krusty
horizontally-opposed
And Howard.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 26 2017, 07:50 AM) *

Alex.

I bought the gray car from her.
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Sep 26 2017, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 26 2017, 07:50 AM) *

Alex.

I bought the gray car from her.

I've wondered about who ended up with their metallic red /6?
Larmo63
Well, I am a relative newcomer as far as 914s, although I have had many 356s and a 912. Mark should take the lead here.

It was one of my little brainstorms.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(sb914 @ Sep 26 2017, 08:52 AM) *

Cap'n krusty

agree.gif
get off my lawn
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 26 2017, 05:31 AM) *

Since I have a turbo car, it would be great to have the history of some of the early pioneers of turbo 914s.

You can't have a list of turbo (a) 914 people wink.gif
get off my lawn
Back when I was your age and the 914 club was just startin,

we had Brad,
Diamond Dave Darling,
JP Stein (who tot me how to speel),
Jeff and his sister Jenny
malmzzzz,
The artist formerly known as Z,
That really tall dude with the orange 914 and a 3.6 liter stuffed into it (Steve I think)
Glenn
Don
Campbell (before the pony tail)
Ferg
Mark B
Rick 918 motor guy
Geee-off (Bleyseng)
Mueller? Mueller? Mueller?
Jeroen
Members of the CSOBOSC

and several others i can't quite remember right now but they'll come to me soon 'nuff.

A mind is a turrribal thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.