Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sway bars on my six....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ollijg73
A while back I posted an enquiry on 914 lights in relation to getting my six TUV certified in Germany. The car came from the States and is in overall fantastic shape. Trouble is it won't pass the TUV the way it is set up and well, as you can guess, the lights are the least of my worries!

The latest job is to install sway bars. Because my car has flared arches and wider wheels I must have sway bars fitted to meet the German regulations for the 916. I've been trying to get a hold of a complete set front and rear but have had no luck so far, so if any of you have a good set you want to get rid of let me know.

I didn't think they'd be too hard to trace as I thought they were fitted as standard on '73 four cylinders and as an option on other years? Anyone know the history?

Finally, are there after-market ones that I could use? I've seen ones from Weltmeister but these are different right? I'm sure I need factory originals...

Thanks all, Ollie.
Eric_Shea
Call Rich at High Performance House. He has used ones in stock.

HPH Web Site

You may want to look for a 76 930 front bar. Those are factory and 18mm. I believe there's a list of sway bar factory part numbers around somewhere. They're not too expensive from Porsche. Around $125-150 for the bar only.
davep
The bars were very common, if not stock, on the 73 2.0 cars and the 74 Ltd Ed cars. They were a common option on most cars from about 1973. Most used sets will need new plastic bushings. You may need the brackets on the front A-arms. Someone here sells the nut plate to weld into the body below the gas tank. There are reinforcements in the rear trunk, and brackets that are welded below the rear trunk. Don't forget the lower rear shock pin with the ball. I'm sure many of us have a spare set or two.
LvSteveH
The aftermarket bar will be much more performance oriented and allow you to setup the car to your liking based on driving style and preferences. Cost is probably pretty comparable to finding all the bits needed for the oem setup.

Once you're done passing TUV you should have one heck of a car!
anthony
Wouldn't any early 911 through-body sway bar work and look stock? And there must be aftermarket TUV approved sway bars for 911/914s.
michelko
Hallo Ollie,
der Stabi vom 911 ist in den frühen Baujahren gleich. Bin gerade dabei einzubauen:

Meine Baustelle

Die Dinger gibt es immer mal wieder bei Ebay oder probiers dochj mal bei www.mittelmotor.de die haben manchmal auch gebrauchte Teile. Neu gibts den Stabi dort mit Sicherheit.

Gruss aus der Pfalz.

smilie_flagge6.gif
ollijg73
thanks for all the advice, I'll keep an eye on ebay...although I like the idea of using the Weltmeister setup; anyone know whether that would be considered a legitimate replacement for the OEM setup by the TUV inspector?

O.
Bleyseng
I don't know about that but its vastly superior to the stock POS. Tarrett makes one that is the best on the market....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.