Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sierra Madre Suprise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Like a FOOL I bought a set of European rear lens for the second car. Well they came in a few minutes ago. NO SEALS are installed. I called and asked WTF.gif , salesman said they DON'T come with them. They are sold just as lens.

Just test fitted both sides. They are WAY OFF in the curvature and are LONG because the curve is OFF. 1st two pictures is of the Hella and the rest are the unknown lens.

Post has been edit per URO request, I only had the information that was given to me by the salesman.
rhodyguy
Do the white knobs fit the threaded posts?
914Sixer
Going to test fit them in a few minutes to see it the even fit.
SirAndy
Why would you think a lens sold during a promotion would come with seals?
confused24.gif

And do we know for sure they are URO? They do look like EURO lenses ...
popcorn[1].gif
arne
I wouldn't have expected seals to be included. No one else (other than a 914rubber group buy) includes them.
914Sixer
Hella's always came with seals. I asked the salesman what brand of lens they were and he said URO. He may have been in the dark what he was selling.
mb911
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 26 2017, 09:16 AM) *

I wouldn't have expected seals to be included. No one else (other than a 914rubber group buy) includes them.

The AA sets come with seals as well..
7TPorsh
Don't tighten the knobs down thinking it will fit....lens will crack
UROpartsman
Hi 914Sixer, just a quick FYI so you can update the title and details in your thread. As valuable feedback for the community, the thread should be factually accurate.

URO does not make this lens, and never has. What did the packaging look like? It's highly unlikely that a reputable retailer like Sierra Madre would rebox other brand lenses in our bright yellow boxes with repeating URO logos. Sierra Madre lists the brand for this item as "OE Quality Aftermarket": http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/914-9...-76-p15871.html

Unfortunately we have no control over competitors' products, but please contact us immediately if you or any other forum member ever has an issue with a URO component. We absolutely want to hear your feedback, and thank you for your time.
SirAndy
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Sep 26 2017, 10:39 AM) *
URO does not make this lens, and never has.

Told you so ...
biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 26 2017, 09:45 AM) *
Just test fitted both sides. They are WAY OFF in the curvature and are LONG because the curve is OFF. 1st two pictures is of the Hella and the rest are the URO len

You can heat them up and bend them SLOWLY into shape. Do NOT use the screws to tighten them, they will break.
dry.gif
914Sixer
Edited the thread per URO request. I was given false information. I will trying and get the facts in a better manor.
bretth
Odd. I contacted Sierra Madre too and they told me they were made by URO also. Someone doesn't know what they are selling.

Brett
rhodyguy
Or what to say. Return them.
Mike Bellis
Should have bought them from 914 Rubber...
arne
QUOTE(bretth @ Sep 26 2017, 11:29 AM) *
Someone doesn't know what they are selling.
That’s been my experience when talking on the phone with SMC staff. Completely uninformed.
SierraMadreCollection
Hey Guys,

Sierra Madre Collection checking in. To the OP, or anyone else that is unhappy or has fitment issues with the lenses, we will take them back/exchange them no problem. We certainly don't want anyone to regret doing business with us.

As others have pointed out, these are not URO lenses. I'm not sure who gave that bit of misinformation out and I apologize. Again, it is not our intent to mislead our customers.

76-914
All is well that ends well. beerchug.gif
Coondog
They fit better when you back date your bumpers...... stirthepot.gif
Mblizzard
Let's be clear here. Making aftermarket parts for 40+ year old cars is not going to be easy ever! As a seller your attention to detail and quality control can make or break you. I think that is often the thing that separates many sellers and products. It is sometimes hard for a manufacturer to say this is not good enough too sell.

Regardless of who made that set of lenses the quality should have been better!
porschetub
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 27 2017, 10:36 AM) *

Let's be clear here. Making aftermarket parts for 40+ year old cars is not going to be easy ever! As a seller your attention to detail and quality control can make or break you. I think that is often the thing that separates many sellers and products. It is sometimes hard for a manufacturer to say this is not good enough too sell.

agree.gif totally,how hard is it to test fit then say no good and return to the supplier before you put them up on a website,914rubber make parts that fit .
Funny how SMC responded quickly on here and have never returned an email on my last purchase with was described as something different than what I recieved.
My Hella 40+yr euro lenses are not fitting at the inside end,strange how you buy a repop set and they have the same issue.
Could these be the AA ones ,I have no idea but they had the same issue confused24.gif .
Front yard mechanic
I bought a set and they fit great no problems might be the cleanest parts on my car. No wait they are the cleanest parts! cheer.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 26 2017, 07:12 PM) *
Could these be the AA ones ,I have no idea but they had the same issue confused24.gif .

The AA repops have "AUT ATL" where "HELLA" normally is.

driving.gif
DM_2000
I'd be happy just to get parts for a low production 40 year old car. Also, fit and finish back then wasn't as good as a modern car so who knows if the tail light housing / tail sheet metal is as design spec.

Mikey914
The good news is you can, and more are being made every day.
Montreal914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 26 2017, 06:08 PM) *

The good news is you can, and more are being made every day.

smilie_pokal.gif cheer.gif
arne
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 26 2017, 04:12 PM) *
My Hella 40+yr euro lenses are not fitting at the inside end,strange how you buy a repop set and they have the same issue.
My Hella euro lenses also flare out on the corners, same as many of the reproduction do. I may try to heat them gently and massage them into place. If I break them I’ll get a pair from Mark.
7TPorsh
I've been down to Sierra's showroom in Pasadena as well as their will call and warehouse in Glendale. I can say with somewhat high confidence that they source a good number of parts here.
thelogo
Porsche parts

Huh

But its. Not A Real Porsche ah

wub.gif N. .A. R. P

So really no part will be guaranteed to fit.

Except the key

porschetub
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 27 2017, 03:21 PM) *

I've been down to Sierra's showroom in Pasadena as well as their will call and warehouse in Glendale. I can say with somewhat high confidence that they source a good number of parts here.

Try a website sale for oversea's sale,frankly don't deal with them anymore.
Larmo63
Just buy NOS ones, it's so much easier.......
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Sep 26 2017, 03:13 PM) *

I bought a set and they fit great no problems might be the cleanest parts on my car. No wait they are the cleanest parts! cheer.gif

Pic of my egosClick to view attachment
SierraMadreCollection
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 26 2017, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 27 2017, 10:36 AM) *

agree.gif totally,how hard is it to test fit then say no good and return to the supplier before you put them up on a website,914rubber make parts that fit .
Funny how SMC responded quickly on here and have never returned an email on my last purchase with was described as something different than what I recieved.

I'm sorry you haven't heard back sooner! Please let us know the details of your order so we can help out with any issues.

Thanks to everyone for the comments!

We want to ensure everyone that these European made lenses are good quality. To confirm, they don't have the Hella or the Auto Atlanta script like some suggested on the thread. We did have a fitment issue with the first batch early this year so we quickly pulled these lenses from the market. Since then another batch has been made with the correct angle for a perfect fit. Quality is everything to us, and just to make sure we fit every new lens to an original 914 taillight housing before putting packaging it on the shelf. This testing is done at our R&D garage at our Pasadena location which all 914 owners are welcome to come visit. For those out of the area please email me at jorge@sierramadrecollection.com and we can email you some pictures.

If anyone does have fitment issues please reach out and we'll make sure you get a replacement set with a proper fit.

Thanks from SMC!
Larmo63
I remember a thread here when certain aftermarket parts from Sierra Madre Collection didn't fit my car. I have to admit that the owner (of SMC) himself PMed me and gave me his personal cel phone number. His name is Jorge, and he is surprisingly on top of these types of issues.

I can't say enough about his concern on a report part for a 914.

smilie_pokal.gif
914Sixer
Lens are on the way back. Did not fit.
Rob-O
Got mine, the fit well if I didn't have a gasket on the lens. As others have stated they don't come with gaskets. I pulled the gaskets from my USA lenses. Those gaskets we're home made (screen door material from Home Depot). With the gaskets they didn't fit. But the home made gaskets are pretty thick and stiff, something smaller and a little more pliable would probably be fine.

I left mine on the car with no gaskets. Car doesn't get driven in the rain and I can't imagine much water would get in there from a wash.

I'll post pics here in a bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.