Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Cylinder Brace
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michel richard
I followed the recent master cylinder brace with attention. In the process of upgrading my teener I changed the master cylinder to a 19 mm this morning.
I was looking at the layout of the area and came up with this idea for bracing the master cylinder. I fabbed a brace, installed it, shot some pictures and even made a little drawing (more on that later).

Here are the results:

michel richard
Brace, as seen from the side:
michel richard
View of the part, on the ground.

michel richard
Different view
michel richard
Finally, the drawing. It's gonna be obvious I'm not a draughtsman. I did it in MS Paint, added some comments in MS Word. So here's the file. Not sure that this is going to work or how it's going to come out:
tat2dphreak
that's cool! and it's much more removable than one welded in place!! smilie_pokal.gif
michel richard
A little discussion:

1) advantages:
- Quick and easy
- almost no welding (only where the part is folded)
- bolt on
- can be taken off to service master cylinder
- positive attachement to master cylinder

2) disadvantages
- sheet steel construction inherently (sp?) a little weaker
- angles are such that it may not be as effective

I used 0.80 thick steel. At the master cylinder end, I replaced the split ring lockwasher with one of the thinner "ribbed" washers that Porsche uses elsewhere in the car. I was able to get the nut threaded all the way, but barely.
Have'nt really tried it yet: I have yet to put brake fluid in and bleed the system.
You can see that I did not pay too much attention to appearance ! Also, there probably is not enough material around some the holes, but the piece works in compression, so I think I'm ok.

Let me all know what you think !

Michel Richard
914/6 2.2 E MFI
michel richard
Allright, looks like the posting of the drawing did'nt work. If somebody has suggestions on software to use etc . . please let me know.

Michel
MecGen
Salut Richard
Cool Idea smilie_pokal.gif
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
Another fine looking aproach!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.