Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIDEO: Vintage Group in PCA Race at Summit Point
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
Participated in my first Vintage Group race with PCA this past weekend at Summit Point. Loads of fun!! Simple class rules, though their going to have to change some for next year. 4 classes:
VO4/VU4 for 4 cyl Over and Under 2.0 liter
VO6/VU6 for 6 cyl Over and Under 2.4 liter

All are good except VO6 because you can have anything from a 2.5 liter all the way to 'sky's the limit'...4.0 liter monsters. I was one of the "highly modified monsters' along with 2 other cars (914's!!) ...we lapped the field...at least once...
There were at least 8 914's in the race (I think more like 10)

Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of "racing" to do...the other two cars are WAY more developed than my Papa Smurf, so they kinda ran away from me. And I ran away from 4th place...so as the announcer said, I had a "lonely" third place in race 2 and 3....Race 1 the other 914 started last so he never really caught us.

However....in Race 3, I ran out of gas...so did the other two guys and 5 others in the group. On grid, with 3 minutes to go, we were told "Oh, btw, this is a 30 lap race, not 20...do you have enough gas?"

I had no idea...but in the end, I guess the answer was "Uh...no I do not!!"

Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPHFJhtZjcU
wndsrfr
Sweet driving Bob, thanks for posting--looks like a lot of fun working our way through the pack as you lapped the field. Wish I could step up & run with the group....maybe next year!

John
MikeSpraggi
Bob, it was great seeing you, Nadine and Papa Smurf again. Lots of fun too. I have lots of video of Papa Smurf blowing by me! Looking good out there, buddy.
mlindner
Nice video Bob and looks like a great track to drive. Question, what gears are you running.....they look to be a little tall. Best, Mark
naro914
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 10 2017, 07:40 AM) *

Nice video Bob and looks like a great track to drive. Question, what gears are you running.....they look to be a little tall. Best, Mark

Hi Mark
EXTREMELY tall gears! Stock 915 transmission... Right now Papa is at Dawe's getting the trans re-geared to something a bit more appropriate, plus a LSD and a few other winter maintenance projects.

It is a really fun track - don't know why it's taken us all these years to get up there.
mlindner
Thanks for the reply Bob, post more videos when you can. Lots of fun to watch and nice to see different tracks. Have only driven Road America (back yard), Blackhawk farms and Sebring. Best, Mark
naro914
Mark,
Don't know if you saw it, but I posted this up a few weeks ago from Roebling Road
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=320309
wndsrfr
Bob, Awesome work. Just got back from Roebling best lap time I could get was 1:25 but it was okay. Your car set-up is awesome seeing the 1.2 G on the carousel is absolutely astonishing. Gives me something to look forward to trying out my next time there. I had two days of BMW CCA race driver training in the rain both days. Then 2 days of vintage racing with vdca lots and lots of fun. Attrition in the one hour Enduro was amazing 20 cars out of the 50 that started dropped in various places around the track. I brought Kermeee home to a fine finish. My first-ever real race experience and I like it! piratenanner.gif Here's the race school start...they put me on pole so everyone would have someone to pass!
Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Dec 11 2017, 10:54 AM) *

Bob, Awesome work. Just got back from Roebling best lap time I could get was 1:25 but it was okay. Your car set-up is awesome seeing the 1.2 G on the carousel is absolutely astonishing. Gives me something to look forward to trying out my next time there. I had two days of BMW CCA race driver training in the rain both days. Then 2 days of vintage racing with vdca lots and lots of fun. Attrition in the one hour Enduro was amazing 20 cars out of the 50 that started dropped in various places around the track. I brought Kermeee home to a fine finish. My first-ever real race experience and I like it! piratenanner.gif Here's the race school start...they put me on pole so everyone would have someone to pass!
Click to view attachment

John, good to hear..... I've been inviting you to come out and do some vintage racing. So you like it. ehh?
wndsrfr
Yep, I'm in....looking forward to running with you and the gang, going to be a sweet year coming up. SVRA has an interesting event at Roebling in February where they do another school session...might do that one.
naro914
I just wish I could run with SVRA...
wndsrfr
QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 26 2017, 06:54 PM) *

Any chance with group 10?
naro914
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Dec 27 2017, 08:18 AM) *

Possibly...but I’d be woefully uncompetitive compared to those cars.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 27 2017, 08:46 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Dec 27 2017, 08:18 AM) *

Possibly...but I’d be woefully uncompetitive compared to those cars.

Not necessarily...it's about the driver on these courses & many are at 7/10's out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.