Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket tachometer for stock dash hole?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
Are there any aftermarket tachometers that fit in the stock dash hole?
Keyser Sose
Yes, it's 4.5" or 115mm opening. I have a VDO with a programmable shift light, chosen because the font is similar to stock gauges.
DBCooper
VDO Comp Eliminator. It comes with a programming tab that's removable. Not exactly a stock look but not bad and it works well. There are other styles if you prefer.

IPB Image
wndsnd
Or just use the stock teach and drive over the red line. smile.gif
DBCooper
There's a post from a couple of years ago describing how a guy put a modern tach inside a 914 tach housing. I don't know how it turned out long-term but it looked pretty good.

Beebo Kanelle
Check out timothy_nd28 in the member vendors forum

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=217100
timothy_nd28
Sadly the modern tach they sold isn't being sold anymore. It was a good answer, I did over 30 conversions with great results.
GregAmy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 26 2017, 07:58 PM) *

VDO Comp Eliminator. It comes with a programming tab that's removable. Not exactly a stock look but not bad and it works well. There are other styles if you prefer.

Why am I not able to find this at a retailer? Is it still being sold? Any idea what the VDO part number is?
Mark Henry
Autometer monster fits, a hair loose, but 3 small blobs of RTV sticks it in good.
You lose the high beam and turn indicators.
DBCooper
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 27 2017, 05:27 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 26 2017, 07:58 PM) *

Why am I not able to find this at a retailer? Is it still being sold? Any idea what the VDO part number is?

Huh, I don't see it. Sorry, that was from ten years ago and VDO has apparently moved on. There are other options though, just look for 115mm/4.5" tachs with a switch for number of cylinders. And an LED shift light option is really handy, it's bright enough that you don't need to be looking at it to see it come on.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.