Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got a little surprise today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
hi everyone,
I am aggravated....I was replacing my pushrod tube seals and adjusting my valves and got this surprise on the intake valve....looks like I am going to have to pull the head and replace the valve...I wanted to get my car back on the road....I guess not mad.gif
Joe
joeav8tor
I am so pissed I forgot the pic!
LvSteveH
I'm far from an expert, but you could probably file that a bit and use lash caps instead of removing the valve. Others will chime in I'm sure.

on edit: It looks like the engine is out of the car, so pulling the head and replacing the valve wouldn't be that bad. Just remember you'll still have to file that valve tip down so it doesn't damage the guide. Good Luck.
MecGen
Hey
This is funny...its excacly how my 4 year rebiuld started with a valve adjust, then I saw a valve excactly like yours.
mad.gif
I did try a file and no cap, but the valve lost its hardening and it rappidly got worse.
Sorry
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
joeav8tor
at least someone finds it funny. ar15.gif ar15.gif
redshift
Nice gash, left index finger..

sad.gif

Sorry for the blood lettin'... yeesh..

M
joeav8tor
all in a days aggravation! beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Joe
joeav8tor
pic ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
gfulcher
Hey Joe...

Sorry for your surprise - we've all experienced them at some point or another...

Those heads: it looks to me like they've gotten pretty darn hot - with all of the discoloration et al. The last time I saw that was on my 1600cc DP in my '73 VW Thing after a 17,000 mile / 7 month trip around the USA - Spent more than a few days in the Rockies - up and down long grades all day long, which invariably introduced excessive heat to the heads. Upon rebuild, I deemed the heads unworthy of re-use, for fear of cracking or other failure.

You might want to really check the integrity of the seats and their bores, and look for hairline cracks between the seats.

Good luck,

-greg-

Bleyseng
Send both of them to HAM inc to have Len refresh them and advise you on their condition.

Just got mine back from Hoffman Auto Machine and they look great. This is the shop where Jake Raby sends all his heads and I can see why.

http://www.haminc.biz/main.shtml

Check the oil cooler while you are suffering from DWD, to locate why you are getting so hot.
Bleyseng
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.