Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 rear hubs for a 5 lug conversion ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewb
Hi Gents - I'm looking at doing a 5 lug conversion on my '73 and although I've searched I only find passing references to using 944 parts (I'm only looking at doing the rears at the moment).

I've therefore come to the conclusion that for some reason 944 hubs or driveshafts or discs (rotors) don't fit. Can anyone please explain why this is ? I'm guessing it's something to do with the relative positions of the existing caliper brackets and the 944 disc dammit........ rotor ?
There's also the park brake problem but there are ways round that.

The attraction of 944 parts is largely down to price and availability, the hubs certainly look as though they're interchangeable.,

IPB Image IPB Image

(not checked the splines yet) and driveshafts can generally be modified or adapted. As for the normal 5 lug conversions as detailed on Pelican I'm not a fan of putting 5 lugs in late 4 lug hubs - seems like poor engineering to me and 914/6 or 911 parts are hard to get and/or ridiculous prices.

So the question is - what am I missing ?

Thanks

Andrew
mepstein
You should be able to get 911 hubs for about $150/pr. Not really rediculous for parts that bolt right in. But hubs are only one part of the conversion. That’s why a lot of guys go with the redrilled 914 hubs.

Wait until you do the front. New struts, hubs, bearings, ball joints, calipers and rotors. probably tie rods and struts inserts. $1k-1,500 easy.
bdstone914
The internal spline is different so you would need the 944 stub axles. The hub offset look way different so the rotor is not going to be in the same place. What is the overall plan for the car in term of engine HP and purpose ? The drilled 914 hubs work well. Have you read Eric;s thread on the 5 lug conversion options?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=conversion
914Sixer
Rear wheel bearing will not work. 944's rear bearings are VW Beetle.
DM_2000

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 27 2017, 08:48 AM) *

Rear wheel bearing will not work. 944's rear bearings are VW Beetle.

If you are referencing an air cooled VW, that would be a 924 setup. The 924 and VW have a hub that goes up to the bearing not in it like the 914 / 944. With the 924 and VW, the outer axle stub is what rides inside the bearings.

If you are referencing a water cooled VW, it may be possible that the bearing is the same. Bearings tend to be standard sizes.

~~~
NEW INFO
I may have to edit my post
I found another post that says 944 is the sane until the Turbo came along, I had thought things changed at the 924 Turbo.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=298994&hl=

914Sixer
post Nov 16 2016, 11:40 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

944 hubs will not work. Different splines. Basic 924/944 rear suspension was stolen from the VW Beetle UNTIL the Turbo 944 came along. You can use the Boxster hub BUT you will have to change out the 914 bearing plate to a flat one. Then you can use late 944 stub axle and CVS. The next problem is Boxter rotor is vented and you will need some sort of spacing to make a spaced 914 caliper work or use a 911 rear with some sort of adaptation.

-- Mark Heard --
andrewb
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 27 2017, 01:40 PM) *

The internal spline is different so you would need the 944 stub axles. The hub offset look way different so the rotor is not going to be in the same place. What is the overall plan for the car in term of engine HP and purpose ? The drilled 914 hubs work well. Have you read Eric;s thread on the 5 lug conversion options?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=conversion

Thanks for answering the question bdstone - you've confirmed what I suspected that the problem is where the rotor ends up relative to the caliper mounts. I'm surprised that with all the various variations of Porsche rotor over the years that something wouldn't fit - but equally if it had then 'world' is the place that would know.

My plans for the car don't include crazy power - either a big 4 or a small 6 so between 150 and 200 hp. Narrow body, road tyres. Purpose is just for 'normal' road use although I like to have fun biggrin.gif and apparently our roads over here aren't as smooth as yours confused24.gif . I have no plans for Auto cross or circuit driving.

Thanks for the link to Eric's thread - I'd not seen that before and it seems to cover pretty well everything so I'll keep it for reference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.