Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 conversion cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb123
Hi All, I'm forever on the search for the 'right' 914. Been a fan for 25+ years but not looking for too much of a project. I cringe that I missed mendeola's mule car on ebay, I could have had it for 12k with their trans and and an ls2 and 911 suspension. Lucky person that got it. I have no fear of mechanical, electric things, have rewired a few Ls based cars and have rebuilt a few. just don't want rust to deal with primariy is what keeps me away. with that said, anyone know if this car sold?

https://bringatrailer.com/2016/05/09/subaru...72-porsche-914/
Porschef
Looks pretty sweet, especially for that price... beer.gif
jd74914
I believe that is Bob's old car...from all I've read here that means it's really clean and needs nothing. smile.gif
76-914
That might be Bob's car. FWIW, the "D" series was only produced until 2004 or 2005, IIRC. That model was 212hp & 218 ft Lb's torque. The higher numbers quoted were for the later 3.0 series which use variable timing and variable valve. This would be quite a task to use as I don't believe MS supports this and those model's. Factory ECU uses a lot of CANBUS you would need to defeat. That being said, I would shop for the EZ30D unless you want the extra work required to wire the later models. The EZ30D is a fantastic power plant and when coupled to the 914 it is a dream. Engines are cheap and plentiful. Entire engines can be had for $800 - $1100. They pull strong, and are smooth as a sewing machine. Redline at 7000rpm. beerchug.gif
mb123
i did more searching, looks like it was bob @bigkat_83 car. Another guy out of new york sold it and now it looks like it turned up again. not clear if it did or did not sell. just trying to find out.
burton73
QUOTE(mb123 @ Sep 27 2017, 11:59 AM) *

i did more searching, looks like it was bob @bigkat_83 car. Another guy out of new york sold it and now it looks like it turned up again. not clear if it did or did not sell. just trying to find out.

The guy that bought it from Bob had it for sale with lots of videos. Looked very nice but needed just a very little to make it super. Be sure that it is for sale and then look up the videos. The guy selling it was a professional photographer.

I almost bought it just because but then I could not pull the trigger.

Bob B
burton73
Also you missed a V8 car that needed just what you have to finish it that went for $5,000
a couple of weeks ago. Started at $9,000 or 10 and then just wanted to get it out of his house. Look at the old ads for sale here.

Bob B
Chris H.
Definitely Bob's old car. I drove it a while ago. Very nice, well balanced car. If you only knew how long it takes to get the Megasquirt tuned in - that's worth a couple grand to me.
mb123
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 27 2017, 03:17 PM) *

Definitely Bob's old car. I drove it a while ago. Very nice, well balanced car. If you only knew how long it takes to get the Megasquirt tuned in - that's worth a couple grand to me.

I'd like to get a shot at that megasquirt. I've been tuning the Chevy LS stuff for a bit on my own car. Almost converted my car to megasquirt but decided to just rewire it all and run it with the GM computer. Just don't like that I have to keep paying for credits.
Chris H.
It's dialed in quite well already. Seemed so easy I tried to do mine headbang.gif .

mb123
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 27 2017, 03:36 PM) *

It's dialed in quite well already. Seemed so easy I tried to do mine headbang.gif .

i'm in nw burbs. curious what you are tuning/setting up. feel free to pm.
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(mb123 @ Sep 27 2017, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 27 2017, 03:36 PM) *

i'm in nw burbs. curious what you are tuning/setting up. feel free to pm.

.....I'm interested in your project too idea.gif
Chris H.
Whaaaa? I didn't notice your location. I'll PM you later today. Trying to set up my EG33 with MS3. Bob is a good friend of mine and offered to help finish the tune but I couldn't get away for Okteenerfest. Got it to start and idle but it sputtered when I revved it. It's back to the stock ECU for now. I also have a Vanagon project that I might want to turbo (not for performance, just so it can keep up with traffic!).

I can give you all of the details on Bob's car too. Looks like a few cosmetic updates were done since he sold it which is all that was needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.