Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Collector Cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
soloracer
My friends and I were discussing collector cars the other day and what we would like to either see or own. The usual suspects came to the foreground right away (Mustang, Camaro, Chevelle SS, Barracuda, Charger, etc.) This got me thinking that these cars are seen almost every day around here which really doesn't make them all that rare.

A car that I haven't seen forever and would have to rank as an almost impossible find would be an original condition, low mileage, RUST FREE Ford Pinto. Finding one of those today would be a challenge I think. I mean when was the last time anyone saw one of these cars on the road? And they made a ton of them at one time.

So what cars do you think would be almost impossible to find? (Excluding all the one off exotics of course)
Lou W
Chevrolet Vegas had serious rust problems smile.gif
carreraguy
Yeah we see original 427 Cobras and 550 Spyders all the time in California don't we!

Saw a post somewhere (with pics) concerning a vintage baby-poop colored AMC Pacer; that would be something to see! Rock on!
Cap'n Krusty
Ford Fairlaine Thunderbolt. They were available to the public,were sorta street legal, relatively inexpensive, and there are a few still around. They were, for a while, the king of "run whatcha brung". The Cap'n
Verruckt
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 21 2005, 03:51 PM)
Ford Fairlaine Thunderbolt. They were available to the public,were sorta street legal, relatively inexpensive, and there are a few still around. They were, for a while, the king of "run whatcha brung". The Cap'n

Then how about a Z11 Impala biggrin.gif There's one for sale here in town. I think the guy wants like 80k for it.
i love porsche
a pristine delorean DMC

ive seen one or two around here..but none good
VegasRacer
#1 - Renault Alpine - I saw a few in Germany in the '80's.
I've only seen one in the USA and that was on a race track.

#2 - Lotus Europa - No rust to worry about. Just crappy Lucas electronics.
Lou W
VegasRacer   Posted on May 21 2005, 03:28 PM #1 - Renault Alpine - I saw a few in Germany in the '80's.

Ive always wanted one of these, Reault R5 Turbo. smile.gif
Lou W
another
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Lou W @ May 21 2005, 02:39 PM)

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, ........YESSSSSSSSSS ........... There's one around here, licensed for the street. The Cap'n
smooth_eddy
I kind of miss seeing the Corvairs..........Sorry Ralph
Lou W
Cap'n Krusty   Posted on May 21 2005, 03:44 PM

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, ........YESSSSSSSSSS ........... There's one around here, licensed for the street. The Cap'n

Thats cool, have you ever driven one?
TimT
that Renault R5 is a 930 killer.. awesome car

I want one
bd1308
I like the delorian....i saw a GALAXIE today...looked real cool...and rust free. I love old cars. wub.gif
iamchappy
I had a 1968 390 AMX Ive not seen one of those on the street for awhile. Its was a very fast car in its day faster than most muscle cars of that time. It ran in the 13's bone stock.
tat2dphreak
I can never see enough Ghias... esp. verts!

it's actually fairly rare to see a NICE camaro, most are on blocks in front of a trailer...

I love the 396 Chevelle SS, not too many good ones of those around...

what car would really make me crap if I saw it on the road though? a Detomaso (sp.) Pantera... I've had the pleasure of seeing 1 in my life... that was a bad mother fucker!!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Lou W @ May 21 2005, 02:46 PM)
Cap'n Krusty   Posted on May 21 2005, 03:44 PM

Thats cool, have you ever driven one?

Uhhhhhh, that would be NO. As for being a 930 killer, I saw one that someone brought to a Ferrari Club track day a few years ago at Laguna. Ya know, 427 Cobras, slightly ex Ferrari racecars, that sort of thing. Cubic money ........... He took FTD in a walk ..................... The Cap'n
Gint
QUOTE (iamchappy @ May 21 2005, 04:56 PM)
I had a 1968 390 AMX Ive not seen one of those on the street for awhile. Its was a very fast car in its day faster than most muscle cars of that time. It ran in the 13's bone stock.

Early AMX right behind me on the way to work Friday. He headed off in the opposite direction.
xsboost90
rust free 914? confused24.gif
jimtab
I always had a soft spot for the pre-64 falcons, especially the sprint convertable, I had a girlfriend whose dad bought her a 1963 in 1965. What a great cruser car, a mustang before there was a mustang. Hers was black,black with chrome wheels and a hot driver....
messix

i just saw one of these three weeks ago at a show and shine, low miles original. the guy even started it up a couple of times. at the same show there where a boss 302 and its stable mate boss 429, they drove them up to the show[ we had passed them going the other way on the highway.] nice to see people driving them.
Verruckt
QUOTE (Lou W @ May 21 2005, 04:39 PM)
VegasRacer   Posted on May 21 2005, 03:28 PM #1 - Renault Alpine - I saw a few in Germany in the '80's.

This rich bastard I went to college with had one. I rode in it a couple of times, the acceleration was... shall we say, VERY short lived. The car was screamin ass fast, but had no top end at all. 0-100 would make you taste what you had for your previous meal. biggrin.gif

An R5 turbo 2 is the shiznit.
Gint
The rod guys hit one of the local Sonic drive ins every Friday night in the summer. I drove past last night and saw a 62 bubble top BelAir. It's rare enough to se a 62 Impala on the road these days, but a bubble top? I turned around and went back for a second look.

I want one.
Howard
All the cars mentioned are all over the place in SoCal. No big deal. But here's a CAR!
ninefourteener
I saw a really nice looking SPRITE for sale today....... $2500.

It was actually pretty clean.... unknown if it runs though.

Made the 914 look HUGE---LOL

I liked it biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Here are the ones I keep my eye out for:

V6 Ford Capri
Hillman or Sunbeam Imp
Any Fiat Abarth
Hawktel
Buick GNs are cool rides. I always take a second look when I see one.

Delorean's are pretty neat rides also.

scruz914
Besides my 914 my other all time want to own car is a TR4A. It is rare that I see one.

scruz914
Not that I want to own one today but when I was in the fifth grade I was in love with the Plymoth Barracuda. I don't think there are many of these around today.
redshift
Iso Griffo, Lamborghini Miura Sv/sa, '48 Caddy Sedanette, Lancia Scorpion, Dino, '61 Caddy Coupe, 275 GTB..

drooley.gif

oh dear... 'um dizzy..

m
redshift
monkeydance.gif

KaptKaos
I think it is safe to say that I have an odd taste in cars, hence the 914 wink.gif .

Here is my list of cars that I have always liked:

Triumph GT6+
Fiat 850 (Spider and Racer - just sold mine sad.gif )
Fiat 128 Sedan
BMW 2002
BMW 3.0 CS Coupe
MBZ 600 (The big limo looking one)
VW Scirocco (Series 1 - 75-81)
62-64 Lincoln Continental (Suicide Doors)
63-66 Ford Thurderbird
MGB-GT (Chrome, wires, no pillow)
Lotus Elan (first gen)
Lotus Europa
Lotus 7
Lotus Elite
356 Speedsters
550 Spyder
Saab Sonnet III
Alfa Berlina

There are others, its late and I am tired.

- Joe
LukeD
I remember my dad telling me he took a ride in an original Sunbeam tiger that made him wet his droors. I think only about 7,000 made. Probably not something you see very much of, even at car shows.

Luke D
Lou W
LukeD   Posted on May 22 2005, 12:43 AM I remember my dad telling me he took a ride in an original Sunbeam tiger that made him wet his droors. I think only about 7,000 made. Probably not something you see very much of, even at car shows.

Luke D

I use to work with a guy who use to restore them, that would be a great car to own.
mrobin
most of the cars i lusted for in my youth, i have been able to get latter on in life
(ones i could afford)

the one i can never find though is a FORD CORTINA GT.....

when i was a teenager (many moons ago) i just loved that car, i think it was the dash
because it had so many guages and toggle switches (compared to american cars)

cheers
mack914
Renault LeCar!!!! By 30G miles everything had been replaced. It would fall apart before your eyes. Didn't have to drive it to wear it out.
LongARM
how about the Chrysler turbine car (1963-1965)
Dead Air
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ May 21 2005, 02:28 PM)
#1 - Renault Alpine - I saw a few in Germany in the '80's.

#2 - Lotus Europa - No rust to worry about. Just crappy Lucas electronics.

[QUOTE]

Oh yeah
When I lived in south TX I almost bought a Mexican one for $2000
Bleyseng

There is one sitting in a driveway in North Seattle!
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Gint @ May 21 2005, 08:36 PM)
The rod guys hit one of the local Sonic drive ins every Friday night in the summer. I drove past last night and saw a 62 bubble top BelAir. It's rare enough to se a 62 Impala on the road these days, but a bubble top? I turned around and went back for a second look.

I want one.

Now there is a car I want. 62 Belair 409 Bubbletop! Wow....

Maybe I could get JP to tune it for me! biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
1967 datsun roadster. with the SR(L)311-(U) SOLEX carbed engine.

k
gklinger
'53 Studebaker Commander Starliner
stags14
67 Vette

richardL
Lancia Stratos

messix
check out this web site.
http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/

my friend went to this guys house to see this collection.
about 50 cars at his house in a basement garage.

talk about rare.... some of these cars are one of a kind.

the value of this collection is staggering.
jd74914
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ May 22 2005, 08:00 AM)
1967 datsun roadster. with the SR(L)311-(U) SOLEX carbed engine.

k

Our neighbor owns a Nissan dealership and is restoring one right now. Funny, hes working on its as I'm writing,

I'm a big fan of Boss 302s (I've never seen one in person), early pre-1950 Ford F1 pickup trucks (We have one waiting for restoration, and its 1 of only 3 I've ever seen)
jd74914
QUOTE (scruz914 @ May 21 2005, 10:22 PM)
Besides my 914 my other all time want to own car is a TR4A. It is rare that I see one.

I saw one yesterday on the way to the beach. They are quick little cars. Of course, they are only point and shoot kinda cars cool.gif
bernbomb914
here are several very cool classics
bernbomb914
xx
bernbomb914
zz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.