Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone Running 14 inch Wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
I was wondering if anyone is running 14" wheels on all 4? I realize this seems like a step backward, and would offer some definite limiting of tire choices in the near future, but are there any other foreseeable problems associated other than speedo issues?

Any reason why stock brakes wouldn't work?

-Craig
r_towle
They fit, and I believe it was an option on a /6
arne
If you maintain tire diameter close to stock (about 25.0”), no speedo or gearing issues.

But you are correct, not much in 14” sizes in the way of performance tires.
GeorgeRud
I still have the 14" Fuchs that came on my 914-6, but agree you can't find many tires that fit. I seem to remember that 195/65-14s would be the closest to being correctsizing. I also thought that the Western Gurney wheels were 15", but I could be wrong. I had them on my 914 2.0 back in the early 70s.
Craigers17
Thanks for the info! I thought they would be 15's too, but the guy who's selling them seems to be knowledgeable, and says they're 14's. Says they're 6" in rims as well, which is another important factor for me.

We'll see....they are on the Samba, and they're inexpensive and not bad looking. That fits the need for my current project.

Thanks again for your help! beerchug.gif

Racer
I run 14" Fuchs on my -6. 195/60-14 tires. Falken Azenis RT615K's that I AX with. Really nice tire.

Tirerack lists some other 14" sizes, some in performance tires too, like Toyo and Hoosier.

FWIW, I used to run 6x14 minilites on a -4 car back when 14" tires had greater selection than today. At the time, I could only find 3 minilites in that size. So, I bought two panasport wheels (similar in style to minilites). The panasports would not clear the front caliper but they would clear the rear caliper. So yes, if you run 14" wheels, be mindful of how the backside of the wheel looks and if you can, try it on for size.
toolguy
From the factory, 914-6's only optional Fuch's were 14 x 5.5 Fuchs only. .
With 195/60 x 14 they make for a nice overall gear ratio and sit the car low without dropping the suspension. .
The 15 x 5.5 Mahle Gasburners were also a factory option rim for 6's.

Any 15 inch Fuchs were after sale installed or selling dealer installed. except the real GT's did have 15 inch Fuchs
Rand
Can someone explain to me the benefits of running 14" wheels? Seems wrong to me. Tire choices are only the beginning of the reasons why not. So, why, or not? Are there class categories that restrict you to 14?
garrettlee2
I just put 14"s on my 914 the brake shield rubs but I love the way it looksClick to view attachment not my car but I have the same wheels
Craigers17
Thank for the additional info. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on 'em, so I'll give some feedback when I mount them. I found some 205 -55's by Nitto that look pretty sticky as far as performance tires go.

To Rand's question, are there any benefits to running smaller wheels? It looks like many people AX with them, including Miata's etc. Dave/Racer, ....any reason that you are AX-ing with them?

Garrettlee2... I agree....I like the lowered look....what size tires and wheel width have you got on that thing?
IronHillRestorations
The plus to 14's is a cushier ride. IIRC Porsche offered 14's on "comfort" optioned cars.

The larger issue with 14's is the lack of tire options, the choices are pretty slim.
Racer
My car came with 6 14" wheels. I run what I got. 15" fuchs are way too m,uch $$ for me. Cookies would be nice, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

Yes, 14"s were part of the "comfort package", but this usually was how it was termed on the 911E that had the pneumatic struts. 14" Fuchs were also used on the 912E.

That said, they are lighter... and honestly, how much tire does a 100hp car need? Stock was 165... optional 185. (on a -6). I am running 195 that is IMMENSELY stickier than what was available in 1970 unless you ran Goodyear slicks!

Choices are slim. A 205-55-14 could fit, but I was wsorried about rear fender clearance. 195's are a known tire/size that fits and works well.

A 195/60-14 is the same overall diameter as a 205-50-15.. so I loose nothing in gearing to the 15" tire. I also get a slightly cushier street ride due to taller sidewalls. And I am convinced that some of the ride characteristics of the car when new are preserved by having the taller sidewall. That said, back when new, my dad would run 195/70 and even a 205/70 on 14's cause, well, that was what was available back then.

You don't need a lot of selections.. just 2-3... one or two for "street" use and 1-2 for sportier use imho.
Rav914
I wonder what the Mercedes Fuchs (Bunts, as they're affectionately called) would look like?

These are 14". The come in 15" as well, 5" width to 7", I believe. Five bolt pattern and very plentiful. You almost can't give them away and they're legit Fuchs.
Racer
Porsche 5-bolt pattern is 5x130. I believe the MB wheels are 5x112.. so you would need some kind of adaptor at minimum to make the wheels work.
Rav914
QUOTE(Racer @ Sep 29 2017, 04:57 PM) *

Porsche 5-bolt pattern is 5x130. I believe the MB wheels are 5x112.. so you would need some kind of adaptor at minimum to make the wheels work.

Right you are. The more I look.....would be kinda cool.
davehg
I'm planning on using my 14 Fuchs on the 2.7 conversion project. Look great and compliment the sleeper look.
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 29 2017, 02:40 AM) *

To Rand's question, are there any benefits to running smaller wheels? It looks like many people AX with them, including Miata's etc.

I drive a 1991 Miata with the original 14" Daisy wheels. I considered going to 15" wheels when shopping for tires but decided there wasn't any benefit for my use. The 14" wheels and tires are lighter, which reduces unsprung weight (improving handling on uneven surfaces), and rotational inertia (improving acceleration with my tiny engine).
DM_2000
If you come across 15" MB Bundt cake wheels, they are worth $$ as they were not very common from factory and limited in the aftermarket.

With a bit of magic I run 13" due to the good availability of take off formula car slicks. For street use I run 16".
Mueller
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Sep 29 2017, 04:36 PM) *

I wonder what the Mercedes Fuchs (Bunts, as they're affectionately called) would look like?

These are 14". The come in 15" as well, 5" width to 7", I believe. Five bolt pattern and very plentiful. You almost can't give them away and they're legit Fuchs.

I'm not the only sick person here that thinks those would look cool on a 914.

I think the center section needs to be cut down some, then they would look better.
Mueller
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 25 2017, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Sep 29 2017, 04:36 PM) *

I'm not the only sick person here that thinks those would look cool on a 914.

I think the center section needs to be cut down some, then they would look better.

They are now making replicas in 15x7 which are fairly reasonable cost wise.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(davehg @ Sep 29 2017, 09:39 PM) *

I'm planning on using my 14 Fuchs on the 2.7 conversion project. Look great and compliment the sleeper look.

I have 14" Fuchs on my 2.7 CIS Conversion. The PO put a lower profile tire on it which I don't like and even though the tires are great they look all wrong and the speedo is of 10MPH above 50. Buying new tires when I sell it next Spring.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.