Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: upgrading to 2056
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesse7flying
I've tried doing some research so I wouldn't ask too many stupid questions, but here goes. I acquired a 1.8L engine that had dropped a valve. My plan is to upgrade the guts to make a 2056 out of it. I've bought a 2.0L crank and rods (thks Dominic) to put in the "new" engine as recommended by Jake Raby in some older posts. The thing Raby does not address (unless I missed it, very possible) is what do I do about a cam? It seems like Raby's default position is to use carbs, but I would like to go with the FI system. Does that mean that I need to source a FI system from a 2.0L motor including the MPS, AFR, ECU, injectors, etc, or is anything off a 1.7 or 1.8L motor usable in this case? Once I have a list of items to buy, I will place a WTB ad in the forum, but any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.
Regards--Jesse
BTW, I did not mention that I'm trying to do this upgrade as cheaply as I can, but I don't want to be stupid about it, lol.
mgphoto
Your L-Jet on the 1.8 is a very good candidate for a 2056.
Raby has a cam kit for FI. Doesn't have to be D-Jet
914_7T3
I'm far from an expert on this, but will be doing a 2056 on my car, but its already a 2.0.
The upgrade is to 96mm pistons and I will leave the original cam so I can run with the existing D-Jet. It will not be optimizing the power availalbe with a hotter cam to do it this way, but it will bring it up 10% or 9-10 HP and that's enough for me on a stock car.

Hope this helps.

driving.gif
jim_hoyland
I just upgraded my ‘75 L-Jet to 96mm P/C’s with 2L crank. The TB was also replaced with the larger Vanagon 2.1 TB - a direct fit. Also use a Mallory Unilite distributed (NLA)
The only thing I didn’t do (yet) is to install the Tangerine exhaust
dlee6204
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 29 2017, 01:51 PM) *

agree.gif
I would stick with LJet
jesse7flying
Should have mentioned that the 1.8 came with no FI at all. Sounds like folks like the L-jet system. Will a stock 2.0L cam work for this set up? I understand that if I use the existing 1.8 heads with the stock valves, I can get a better low end response at the cost of high RPM performance and I'm OK with that if that will keep my costs down. I can see 96mm P/C in my future. Keep 'em coming guys. Thx.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Sep 29 2017, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 29 2017, 01:51 PM) *

agree.gif
I would stick with LJet

agree.gif Definitely stick with an L-Jet. You can pick up all the parts with a WTB ad in the classifieds. Plus, there are threads here that help understand the issues.
914_teener
Either system is fine.

They just work differently.

Whatever you decide, either learn as much as you can about either or find someone that does.

The former is probably the path of least resistance.

Get or get a hold of an AFM meter when you are ready tp tune it after break in.
jeffdon
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 29 2017, 12:00 PM) *

I just upgraded my ‘75 L-Jet to 96mm P/C’s with 2L crank. The TB was also replaced with the larger Vanagon 2.1 TB - a direct fit. Also use a Mallory Unilite distributed (NLA)

what cam are you running. I thought any mods to the cam, pistons, etc, meant going to carbs?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Sep 29 2017, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 29 2017, 12:00 PM) *

what cam are you running. I thought any mods to the cam, pistons, etc, meant going to carbs?

I believe it’s a stock cam; it wasn’t changed with the recent upgraded. But about 15 years ago the Motor was rebuilt and it might have been replaced. In any case the car feels very strong and the engine runs very smooth in all conditions
jesse7flying
Jim,
Just so I understand, you say you upgraded your '75 L-Jet to 96mm P/C and a 2L crank. Was it a 1.8L to begin with? The stock cam you mention, was that a stock 1.8L cam or a 2.0L cam? Was there a reason for using a Vanagon TB instead of the 2.0L TB? Just want to make sure I understand the baseline condition and not assume anything. Thanks for the help.
Jesse
914_teener
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Sep 30 2017, 10:50 AM) *

Jim,
Just so I understand, you say you upgraded your '75 L-Jet to 96mm P/C and a 2L crank. Was it a 1.8L to begin with? The stock cam you mention, was that a stock 1.8L cam or a 2.0L cam? Was there a reason for using a Vanagon TB instead of the 2.0L TB? Just want to make sure I understand the baseline condition and not assume anything. Thanks for the help.
Jesse

My understanding of the stock camshafts are that they are all the same lift and duration. I could be wrong be I am pretty sure that is the case.

Mueller
I put LJet on a stock 2.0 and never had problems. Putting Ljet on my current 1.8 I am putting back together. It was Djet. Installing slightly hotter cam.
jim_hoyland
[quote name='jesse7flying' date='Sep 30 2017, 10:50 AM' post='2532867']
Jim,
Jesse
[/quote

It was a 1.8L to begin with; Cam was the 1.8 stock. The Vanagon TB is a direct replacement . IIRC the 2L TBs are different? The vanagon allows more air into the system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.