Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter one and done
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JKincaid
Hey everyone-

I have been experiencing issues with the Bosch rebuilt starters. I have gone through three in the last 5 times I have taken the car out and it's beginning to get pretty old having to pull the starter and replace it almost every time I take the car out. I know that the high torque starters are probably a better/more reliable option. I guess my real question is could it be something that is wrong with the electrical system causing these problems or is it just a case of poor quality of the rebuilt starters? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Beebo Kanelle
is your battery fully charged?

I have had problems when the voltage drops, creating a larger amperage draw.

check to see if there any bad connections which might have a higher than normal resistance.

See what you voltage is when the stater is engaged ( I know, easier said than done)

good luck
IronHillRestorations
A bad battery cable could cause low voltage.
mepstein
I get all our alternators rebuilt at the local battery store. Starters too. Runs $75-100 and takes about 2 days. Only one came back with an issue out of at least 30 so far.
GeorgeRud
Have you installed a starter relay to provide full voltage to the solenoid? A lot of Bosch starter problems are actually caused by low voltage rather than a starter malfunction.
Rand
could it be something that is wrong with the electrical system causing these problems

Clearly. Three failures in the last five runs? Starters don't fail at that high of a rate.

What are your exact symptoms and how did you troubleshoot to determine the starter needed replacing? Don't assume if it stops cranking, that throwing another starter at it is the right solution. There are many more likely causes than the starter, such as cracked ignition switch, dirty battery connections, dirty ground strap connections, etc...
mgphoto
These older cars have issues with the electric connectors.
The starter has a very large copper wire that can get corrosion collecting on the ends.
Find all the connections and clean them off, good wire brush.

sometimes you need to remove the crimped connection clean the wire and replace the connector, make sure you get all the corrosion betweens the strands of the heavy cable.
I like to acid dip the cable, neturalize and than solder the heavy cable strands as one unit, than replace connector.

Sound like your voltage is being taken up by corrosion gaps.
DM_2000
Our guy needs to be more specific as to what the symptoms are and what specific part of the starter is failing.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.