Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Testing oil pressure and head temp sensors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
Trying a new thread, with less words, since my last one was ignored. chair.gif

How do I test the stock oil pressure and head temp sensors to see if they work? They aren't wired to anything, and I don't have gauges for them.

Thanks!
Matt
troth
Put one lead of your ohmmeter on the connector wire and the other lead goes to battery negative or some other ground on the car.
Dave_Darling
The stock CHT sensor and the stock oil temp sensor both are thermistors. They are things that vary their resistance depending on temperature. So you use an ohmmeter to check them; connect one probe to the connector on the sensor, and connect the other to whatever the sensor is grounded to.

The stock CHT sensor runs on the order of 2500 ohms when cold, down to 100 or less when the engine is at operating temp. I do not remember the resistance range for the oil temp sender.

--DD
troth
The oil pressure sensor I don't think would have a spec for resistance because it is a switch. It will either have an infinite or very small resistance reading depending on whether you have low pressure or not.
With ignition off (low pressure), you should have close to 0 resistance. If you switch ignition on but don't start the car, idiot light should come on. If you start the car and let oil pressurize for a second and then read again you should have a very high resistance and light will be off.
mobymutt
Great, thanks!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(troth @ Oct 1 2017, 06:47 PM) *

The oil pressure sensor I don't think would have a spec for resistance because it is a switch.

Oops! Didn't read carefully enough, I was thinking oil temp sender, not pressure.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.