Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Starts, Won't Run
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
Engine is a 2L Type IV with FI.

Car was just trailered 3000 miles and wouldn't start. Points had gone bad, put new points in and car ran great. Made a 250 mile drive with no problem. Driving around town it started hesitating and bucking around 3000 rpms but would rev past that and be fine. steadily got worse.

Now it will fire up, run for a few seconds and die.

Fuel pressure is good, put another set of points in, checked and cleaned the trigger points. Contacts in the dizzy cap had some discoloration so I cleaned that off.

It seems like an ignition problem.

Haven't replaced the condensor, how do you know if that is bad, I have read they don't go bad often. Seems like it wouldn't start at all if it was bad.

Give me any suggestions, I'm stuck.
dlo914
check for spark on a 4 plugs, and see if the ignition coil is any good....
Joe Bob
Spark, Fuel, Air

Even though the pressure is fine...check the filter.
boxstr
I worked on a car for a day and finally found the FI relay was bad, I finally pulled the one from the headligths and plugged it in and VOILA.
Runs great.
Probably not your problem but I would check everything that is easy like relays and wires to make sure they are tight. Ground wires on the back of the engine block?? I always replace the condensor when I replace the points.
CCLINPEPBOYS
bd1308
replace the condensor...i started frying points like mad and a bad condensor will do that....so will a very rich-running engine.
Rand
it will fire up, run for a few seconds and die.

Sounds like a fuel supply problem to me.
bd1308
if while its idling you push on the throttle, does it die sooner??? if it does, you have a bad/not running fuel pump OR clogged fuel filter....ask me how i know?
bd1308
if it doesnt, you have a spark problem.
Rhodes71/914
I'm gonna replace the condensor for sure, should have done that when my points were fried.

Already swaped the relay for a good one, also put a different coil on, checked the FI grounds and other wiring.

I try to get my problems solved before starting a new thread and as soon as I posted I knew I should have put new condensor in.
Rhodes71/914
I thought fuel problem at first but the pressure sits at just under 30.

Maybe a clogged filter still?
bd1308
i *THINK* it's like this.....i think with a clogged filter, it will pump at 30PSI with no LOAD....if you put a load on it, IE running engine throttled to 4k RPM.....then i bet if you indeed have a clogged filter, it will drop drastically.....mine dropped 20PSI......
Rand
Spark problems are usually work/fail. Spark doesn't usually run for a bit and then die. If it starts, runs, then dies... sounds like it's not getting enough fuel.
Rhodes71/914
Well now I need to find a fuel filter that will work from NAPA, until I can get the right one.

I did syphon the gas out of the tank in the Yukon when the Uhaul ran out, then I tried to run it on an empty tank, maybe I got some nasty stuff in there.

Fuel was what I first thought the problem was but since the pressure was good I moved on.

How about the pump? Can it partially work and just not pump enough? Sounds like it always has.

I miss my garage, all my spare stuff is in boxes in a storage unit. mad.gif

Oh well, I did catch a Halibut the other day.
redshift
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 22 2005, 01:25 AM)
if while its idling you push on the throttle, does it die sooner??? if it does, you have a bad/not running fuel pump OR clogged fuel filter....ask me how i know?

shut up!

m
rhodyguy
this may be really wrong...what brand of fuel did you put in the car recently? it's all over the news (locally) that the refinnery in anecortes wa is admitting to a bad batch of fuel that is affecting lots of cars in nw wa. it's posible the same refinnery supplies alaska as well. Unical 76 stations seem to be selling the product.

k
SLITS
CHT took a crap?
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ May 22 2005, 07:10 AM)
this may be really wrong...what brand of fuel did you put in the car recently? it's all over the news (locally) that the refinnery in anecortes wa is admitting to a bad batch of fuel that is affecting lots of cars in nw wa. it's posible the same refinnery supplies alaska as well. Unical 76 stations seem to be selling the product.

k

I may have gotten some of this fuel in the uhaul on the way up.

CHT took a crap?

On my list of things to check. Hey Ron I still have an ECU that you sent me last year.
SLITS
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ May 22 2005, 09:49 AM)
Hey Ron I still have an ECU that you sent me last year.

You get to keep it...parts might be a little rare in Alaska....House Warming Gift biggrin.gif ?

tunez.gif North to Alaska, Goin' North to Russia Zone" tunez.gif
Rhodes71/914
Thanks Ron, yeah it should be interesting trying to keep this car going up here, but it'll be fun.

Took a reading on the CHT and got 4K ohms @ 50 deg F. That falls in the normal range for a cold engine.
messix
starts revs and dies? and still f.i ?

same thing happened to me... it was some loose vac. hoses from the fi system that i knock off. they were loose and came off easy. need new hoses.
Rhodes71/914
And the answer is....

FI Trigger Points - after going over everything fuel and spark related I swaped out the trigger points for an extra set I had. I had already cleaned the ones in the dizzy but guess that wasn't it.

I'm glad that problem is solved - what an odd one.

Now I need to get the other ones functional again so I have a spare. How do I do that?
Allan
smilie_pokal.gif Problem solved.
Rhodes71/914
Forgot to mention what a great drive it was down onto the spit this afternoon, top down, blue skies, ocean all around. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.