Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on 2.0 heads please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Creamsicle New Zealand
Hi everyone, I have been offered a pair of NOS 2.0 heads but I do not know what to look for. I don't need them but if you folks think they are cheap and good then I would buy them and store them for any future use/need.
I have got photos of them on my phone but I cant put the image here.
The person selling them is a friend of a friend.
Details on the box STUECK 923 104 016 00
Stamped on the heads - 039.101.371A with VW symbol
Sellers says these are the later style heads with the air injection port in exhaust port and he says they have more meat under the exhaust seat.
He is wanting USD$1400 for the pair. What do you guys think please?
thanks Steve
VaccaRabite
1400 would get you LE Heads, I think. Kinda cool to get NOS 2.0 heads though.

Are these heads striped, or do they have hardware? Valves, etc.

porschetub
Price is up there,however where do you find them ??,if it is 1400NZD I would grab them,appears he can't sell them oversea's due to freight cost from NZ.
porschetub
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 3 2017, 12:33 PM) *

No not @ all complete and still covered in cosmolene,saw them on the Samba.
Mueller
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 2 2017, 04:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 3 2017, 12:33 PM) *

No not @ all complete and still covered in cosmolene,saw them on the Samba.

Same guy on Facebook? I think he started with something like 10 pair of NOS 2.0 heads.

Creamsicle New Zealand
Not sure if they are advertised anywhere, I believe he had several sets. They are fully stripped, no valves or anything else with them. They are from a chap here in New Zealand.
porschetub
QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Oct 3 2017, 01:28 PM) *

Not sure if they are advertised anywhere, I believe he had several sets. They are fully stripped, no valves or anything else with them. They are from a chap here in New Zealand.

Ok maybe someone different then
McMark
The reproductions from AA Pistons are of good enough quality that these NOS units are somewhat of novelties. NOS will probably never drop in value, but do you mind having $1400 tied up in that?

If you want them, I don't think it's a bad investment.
But it's not really a once in a lifetime opportunity (in my opinion).
Creamsicle New Zealand
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 2 2017, 06:07 PM) *

The reproductions from AA Pistons are of good enough quality that these NOS units are somewhat of novelties. NOS will probably never drop in value, but do you mind having $1400 tied up in that?

If you want them, I don't think it's a bad investment.
But it's not really a once in a lifetime opportunity (in my opinion).

Good answer thanks Mark
Rocky
How have those AA heads shaped up Mark?
McMark
Everything I've seen and everyone I've talked to has all pointed to them being well made and accurate reproductions.

I have a set being rebuilt that I'll be putting on an engine over the winter.
Dave_Darling
I think they're AMC heads, not AA heads?

--DD
DM_2000
I'd have a close look at the mold marks. Castings / molded parts usually have a number to show what mold they came from in the event of a problem during the machining process.

If all of the mold numbers are the same or not there, I'd tend to think they are modern replacements. Given these heads were made in high volume, having all mold number marks in the batch the same would be near impossible.

If mold marks don't exist, I'd have a close look at the part for various artifacts, ( marks ) if they are the same that would tend to make me think they are modern. Reproductions are likely to be made in small batches from the same master.
Creamsicle New Zealand
Thanks for the input. If the price was a lot lower I would grab them but as mentioned a few bucks to have sitting on my shelf for who knows how long.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 3 2017, 01:29 PM) *

I think they're AMC heads, not AA heads?

--DD

AA is advertising heads now, suggesting that they have started casting them.
They also sell AMC heads.

Whether or not the AA heads are AMC castings that have been reworked (similar to what LE does) or if AA is making their own castings, I could not tell you. I doubt it though, since AA is selling their heads about $100 cheaper then the AMC heads.

Zach
McMark
The AA Pistons 914 2.0 reproductions are new molds from real 914 2.0 heads. These are not associated with AMC and are not 'reworked' castings. These are true 914 2.0 heads straight from the furnace.

And at $280each for bare castings, this really reinforces the comparison.

https://aapistons.com/collections/bare-cast...stud-round-port
Dave_Darling
Ah, the other AA.

--DD
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Oct 2 2017, 08:28 PM) *

They do have the seats and guides right? Valves, springs, retainers and keepers are cheap.
If it's local it's likely worth it just counting the shipping to NZ from the States for a different set later.
If a future rebuild in the plan I'd grab them. But like Mark said do you want cash tied up in them long term.
drgouk
It should be remembered that 2.0 heads are some what a consumable item, All aircooled vw heads for that matter.
Cracks from the plugs, cracks under the exhaust seats due to the head having no short turn and little support, cracks are fairly common. Repaired heads are repaired heads. No one re heatreats heads after welding heads, because of the expense of removing seats guides etc. So repaired heads are usually soft.

Genuine Vw/Porsche heads have always been sold bare, Valve train parts are in a seperate section of the parts manual, well atleast that was my experience working at my Dads Vw dealership back in the day.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=113-00

Same part, $995USD each +$500 core charge sheeplove.gif Don'nt be a sheep!

I rest my case evilgrin.gif
drgouk
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 2 2017, 03:39 PM) *

Price is up there,however where do you find them ??,if it is 1400NZD I would grab them,appears he can't sell them oversea's due to freight cost from NZ.

6 Sets sold from NZ, 1 set Indonesia( hand delivered to Singapore for pick up), Germany 1 set and 1 set to Spain today. Im not really a cyl head salesman, Just an engine builder that likes people to use the best parts available at fair prices.
80cap
I'm about to pull my engine after only 2k miles because #2 intake dropped a valve seat.
I looked at the AA bare head that McMark referenced but it has round exhaust ports. How do you fit the headers?
Brian
Dave_Darling
If your heads have square ports, they're Bus heads. The 914s all had round exhaust ports.

AMC makes new Bus heads. The hardware isn't that good, but hardware can be replaced.

--DD
80cap
Dave
My heads are oval exhaust ports. Is oval ports round for this description.
The cooper gaskets are oval.
Brian
TheCabinetmaker
I'll answer that question for Dave. Yes, oval.
80cap
Thanks for the confirmation on round or oval.
Brian beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.