Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
I purchased a Triad west muffler a couple months ago and I wished that I new how loud they were. The You Tube videos did not seem all that loud. I'm not bashing the Triad but I guess that I would like a performance muffler with a little less bite. I'm all ears (get it) to any recommendations .
Brian beer3.gif
mb911
QUOTE(80cap @ Oct 2 2017, 01:56 PM) *

I purchased a Triad west muffler a couple months ago and I wished that I new how loud they were. The You Tube videos did not seem all that loud. I'm not bashing the Triad but I guess that I would like a performance muffler with a little less bite. I'm all ears (get it) to any recommendations .
Brian beer3.gif

For what engine.. I make such a thing for -6 engines.
80cap
Ben
It is a 2056 with carbs and a Web cam.
Brian
Larmo63
L O U D P I P E S S A V E L I V E S.
porschetub
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif .
DM_2000
I saw these exhausts years ago, sharp T joints do nothing to assist flow only hurt it.

You could block one exhaust outlet for some noise reduction and likely not lose any real world flow.
r_towle
Earplugs.
SO.O.C914er
Brian I have a 2056 and would take that Triad off your hands in a heartbeat. Heard one up close at the Temecula fun day two weeks ago and thought it was perfect. confused24.gif
BeatNavy
I went from Triad to Tangerine EVO a few weeks back for the same reason - wanted something a bit more mellow: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...00&hl=triad

I'm very happy with it. Keep in mind, Type IV is never going to sound like a Prius. Thankfully.
DRPHIL914
Loud compared to what??
I have a Triad and love the sound - its only loud when im pushing it hard at high RPM but even then its way better that the Ansa 4 tip that was on it when I got it (Monza?) and another one that I had.

I guess its all relative - I will say if I bought anything else I would get the EVO from Chris for sure - performance, perfect sound -

None of them are super quiet, but if you want a quiet car - get a Prius I guess , my son likes his lol!
I have a boxster too and I wish it had a bit more sound- I like that the Triad does not have a drone at highway speeds and does not sound like a ricer!!!

if you don't like it - I bet you will get plenty of interest if you want to sell it.

but seriously there are some more quiet ones out there I guess, others can give you more advice than I can from their experience. To each his own so you should do what you like.

Keep us posted - Look at the Stainless Steel from Tangerine Racing.

JmuRiz
Good sound/flow for the money, it's hard to beat a stock banana muffler.

I loved my Triad, maybe it's the low frequency tone (bass) of it that is bothering you.
Unfortunately I sold off my old Bursch and Triad when I sold off my carb'd /4, so I can't hook you up with one of mine.
mb911
I can't speak to the 4cyl mufflers as I have had only 1 of them but it was superloud with a glasspack and no real quality sound. I expect the evo is the best 4cyl muffler on the market..
DM_2000
A few things about sound.

In car sound will be different than out of car sound.

Many times obnoxiously loud goes along with , " I flick lit cigarettes out the window , park on the sidewalk so I'm closer to the door of the gym, have a sticker showing Calvin peeing on something , stop a car length over the stop bar at an intersection then flip off the truck driver that can't make the corner without me backing up. " Extra points for deep tinted windows , license plate hider ( 3X points if it is over a vanity plate. ) , taking up two parking spots.

( Sub titled, my life is a complete mess by my own doing but I'll blame everyone else. )

Glass packs with too large of a ID don't muffle very much.

A smaller outlet than the inlet will reduce noise.

Unless back to back dyno tests are done, any perceived gains are subjective.

The exhaust on my 4 cyl car consists of stock pipes cut just aft of the clutch lever area. A 45* section is reused so 2 pipes on one side become one. A 80's Nissan pickup muffler is then welded to a flange. The Nissan muffler is the shortest I could find, the body is about 14 inches.

What this gives is a muffler on each side and 2x the flow if all was going through one Nissan muffler. Couple this with stacked IDF carbs, mechanical sounds of a T4 and it makes for great medium volume sound without being obnoxious.
914_teener
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Oct 2 2017, 05:52 PM) *

Brian I have a 2056 and would take that Triad off your hands in a heartbeat. Heard one up close at the Temecula fun day two weeks ago and thought it was perfect. confused24.gif

Yep....that was mine.

Way better than the Bursch I had on it.

The drive home was pleasant.

Maybe a stock muffler or earplugs.
VaccaRabite
For a 2056, if the Triad is too loud, get a stock muffler.

The performance dip is minimal - butt dyno won't feel it.

I have one of the only muffers MB911 made for 4 cylinder cars. One day I'll run it and compare. Or get one of Chris's systems, they are $$$ but proven excellent. But I'm betting all of them that offer any performance upgrades are going to be loud.

If you want quiet and are willing to sacrifice maybe 5hp, just get a stock muffler.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 3 2017, 10:42 AM) *

I have one of the only muffers MB911 made for 4 cylinder cars. One day I'll run it and compare. Or get one of Chris's systems, they are $$$ but proven excellent. But I'm betting all of them that offer any performance upgrades are going to be loud.

If you want quiet and are willing to sacrifice maybe 5hp, just get a stock muffler.

Zach

I think it was the only one made. It was a prototype. I purchased the exhaust from Ben and the ss flanges from engman but then decided on a six.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 3 2017, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 3 2017, 10:42 AM) *

Zach

I think it was the only one made. It was a prototype. I purchased the exhaust from Ben and the ss flanges from engman but then decided on a six.

Right now its on my trophy wall. I was able to get everything but the actual tail pipe at Ken's estate auction. I tried to find the guy that won that lot but could not find him after I had secured the muffler. Frustrating, but I was able to save a lot of Ken's 914 stuff that day. That made me happy. My plan has been to redistribute his stuff back out to the 914 World membership, but that plan got overtaken by events.

Zach
euro911
I really liked the sound others were hearing from behind my car (2056) with a Triad, but the drone inside on long trips finally wore on me. I also went with a stock banana muffler. Quieter, and I think the performance is actually better biggrin.gif
bbrock
I've asked this before, but has anyone tried cutting the muffler off a Bursche and replacing it with something quieter? It seems like that would be an easy platform to experiment with.
IronHillRestorations
From a performance standpoint the stock banana muffler is hard to beat and the noise level is, well stock. Porsche exhaust systems, especially the banana style muffler is well designed. Think about it, in the continual race for better hp specs, if Porsche could've gotten 5 more hp from a better muffler design, don't think for a minute they wouldn't have done it. There's a balance between power and an acceptable noise level
maf914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 3 2017, 11:36 AM) *

I've asked this before, but has anyone tried cutting the muffler off a Bursche and replacing it with something quieter? It seems like that would be an easy platform to experiment with.

There have been a couple of threads discussing this. Try these.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...248837&st=0

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=249563
bbrock
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 3 2017, 03:44 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 3 2017, 11:36 AM) *

There have been a couple of threads discussing this. Try these.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...248837&st=0

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=249563

Hey thanks! beerchug.gif I spent a fair amount of time searching old muffler threads, but that was before I learned that Google searches work better than the forum search function.
johnhora
here you go...just what you need biggrin.gif
fabricated years ago...never used
new 911 muffler modified as a sports muffler for a 914 2.0L

Click to view attachment
johnhora
Click to view attachment
914_teener
I think Dansk makes something like that, but man get out your wallet.
rhodyguy
The type of heat exchangers on your car will dictate your muffler options.
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

I too, switched out the Triad, but went for a custom unit from a local shop. Could have saved $ with a banana muffler, but wanted something unique. Much quieter, but still plenty loud. I like he cleaner look with the exhaust hidden too
rhodyguy
Did you have to remove the heat shield to install that one? Did the guys at Stan's build the system?
kgruen2
I love the sound of my Borla, and it looks great with the dual outlets. Low and mellow tone. I think I get more noise inside the car from the carbs intake than sound from the exhaust. driving.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(kgruen2 @ Oct 16 2017, 12:57 PM) *

I love the sound of my Borla, and it looks great with the dual outlets. Low and mellow tone. I think I get more noise inside the car from the carbs intake than sound from the exhaust. driving.gif

where, when did you get the Borla? - I had a chance to buy one back 5-6 years ago and didn't. I believe it was of the last ones sold. I understand they only made one run of a afew dozen or so and never did it again?

Although I like my Triad and have no complaints , I think I might be tempted to consider a SS like Tangerine has or a borla etc. If they came out with them again I would get one.
Justinp71
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 4 2017, 09:57 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I too, switched out the Triad, but went for a custom unit from a local shop. Could have saved $ with a banana muffler, but wanted something unique. Much quieter, but still plenty loud. I like he cleaner look with the exhaust hidden too

How is the performance compared to the Triad? I put the Triad on I got from you and I think I gained 20hp, it was very noticeable...
ottox914
I'm running a Kerry Hunter header and as supertrap with maybe a 8-10 discs in it. It's a little to loud for my taste at the moment, but not bad if I keep the rev's down. In 5th on the highway with the roof off and windows up you can have a normal voice conversation. At our auto cross events its constantly in the upper 80's for a db sound check. 95 is generally our site sound limit, and I'm usually 87-88 at WOT.
kgruen2
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 17 2017, 05:25 AM) *

QUOTE(kgruen2 @ Oct 16 2017, 12:57 PM) *

where, when did you get the Borla? - I had a chance to buy one back 5-6 years ago and didn't. I believe it was of the last ones sold. I understand they only made one run of a afew dozen or so and never did it again?

Although I like my Triad and have no complaints , I think I might be tempted to consider a SS like Tangerine has or a borla etc. If they came out with them again I would get one.

I forgot his name, but I got it from a guy in the Sacramento, Ca. area about 4 months ago. He sold it because he was putting 6 into his 914. You are correct, only a small run was made, and they are rarely up for sale. I suppose you could always contact Borla and see if they are willing to make one. Or maybe get a group production run if there is enough interest. Tangerine is a good way to go too. Quality products, good looks, good sound, and improved performance. Good luck.
Karl
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Oct 17 2017, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 4 2017, 09:57 AM) *

Click to view attachment

How is the performance compared to the Triad? I put the Triad on I got from you and I think I gained 20hp, it was very noticeable...

I can tell if there's any difference in performance. The car has plenty of power for me anyways.
Keith914
Since recently completing my 914/6 project, which has a new set of MSDS(?) headers connected to a stock Porsche 2 in 1 out muffler, I have been attempting to eliminate a resonating drone from the engine that occurs under "gentle" acceleration or uphill driving between 2100 and 2500 rpm's. I have already addressed the possibility of this sound coming from the carbs by replacing the PMO air cleaners with a stock 914/6 air filter, which made no difference to this sound, thus it clearly is exhaust sound. It has been suggested that the modestly aggressive reground cams on this 911 2.7 which is otherwise stock, is the cause.Any suggestions on how to reduce/eliminate this resonating drone? Oops photo is --- you can see the setup blink.gif

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Keith914 @ Oct 18 2017, 12:05 PM) *

Any suggestions on how to reduce/eliminate this resonating drone?

Stop operating the engine in that rpm range?
DM_2000
The megaphone tip might not be helping matters, any way to take it of for a test?

If you direct the tail pipe straight back rather than partly out the side it will make a big difference for in cabin noise.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Keith914 @ Oct 18 2017, 09:05 AM) *

Since recently completing my 914/6 project, which has a new set of MSDS(?) headers connected to a stock Porsche 2 in 1 out muffler, I have been attempting to eliminate a resonating drone from the engine that occurs under "gentle" acceleration or uphill driving between 2100 and 2500 rpm's. I have already addressed the possibility of this sound coming from the carbs by replacing the PMO air cleaners with a stock 914/6 air filter, which made no difference to this sound, thus it clearly is exhaust sound. It has been suggested that the modestly aggressive reground cams on this 911 2.7 which is otherwise stock, is the cause.Any suggestions on how to reduce/eliminate this resonating drone? Oops photo is --- you can see the setup blink.gif

Click to view attachment

if you're using a stock 2 to 1 muffler, it's probably not going to get any better is my guess.
jd74914
If it's just in that small band you might be able to weld in a Helmholtz resonator, though there really isn't too much space to put one. I've used them before to tune out certain frequencies for track noise limits.
Rand
I purchased a Triad west muffler a couple months ago and I wished that I new how loud they were. The You Tube videos did not seem all that loud.

Just caught up here. Yeah, when you want to know how loud a muffler is, listen on Youtube! LOL!! Seriously? Your speakers were turned down too low? lol-2.gif But you new that. Or didn't now that. Sigh...

Sorry. I was in a snarky mood.

But I have to say, nothing sounds better than a Triad exhaust.
kgruen2
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 18 2017, 05:26 PM) *

I purchased a Triad west muffler a couple months ago and I wished that I new how loud they were. The You Tube videos did not seem all that loud.

Just caught up here. Yeah, when you want to know how loud a muffler is, listen on Youtube! LOL!! Seriously? Your speakers were turned down too low? lol-2.gif But you new that. Or didn't now that. Sigh...

Sorry. I was in a snarky mood.

But I have to say, nothing sounds better than a Triad exhaust.

Haven't heard a Triad in person (only on youtube). Would love to compare side by side to my Borla.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.