Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need voltage for MSD CDI box....for Link install..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I was testing the wiring for my Link ECU using the dizzy and my Mallory CDI box......I cannot get spark using the ignition trigger from the Link...my output is normally 0vdc and goes to ~10vdc when the window appears on the dizzy....

If I bypass the Link ECU and wire the Mallory CDI box directly to the dizzy (Mallory Unilite) I get spark...it's normally 0vdc and goes to 5vdc with window open.

Link has never done a Mallory install and usually uses the MSD box, they do mention that the MSD box needs to have a resistor changed internally to go from what I thought they said low level to high level.

it seems that if I can get my Mallory CDI box to output 5vdc instead of 10vdc it might work.....

oh yea...the "white" wire on my Mallory reads approx 10 to 11vdc

thanks
Mueller
believe it or not, I did a google and found it....

MSD reverse engineered (pdf)

350mA @ 14vdc

still not sure what the mod was....might have to wait until Monday sad.gif
lapuwali
The Link won't do wasted spark?

Have you gotten the Link working in fuel-only mode, and just let the Mallory dizzy operate on it's own? If not, I'd do that first get some nice maps set up, then start futzing with ignition control.

Until you actually add a turbo, I'm perplexed as to why you think you need a CDI box at all. I'm not entirely convinced it would help even WITH a turbo. I'd get a wasted spark setup going long before I started to fool around with a CDI box, but that's just me.

Mueller
I could do fuel only, it's not too hard to unlock the dizzy advace mech....it might be a good idea to do that...the turbo won't be going on for a while so I really don't need the features of the programable ignition all that much right now....

For my Link to control spark, I need the CDI box, a pull up resistor is added to the MSD boxes which I'm pretty sure would work just as well on the Mallory...I just have to get the instructions

For wasted spark, I'd have to send the unit back so they could install the correct daughterboard

I stayed away from the wasted spark on Links recommendation and from a local MoTec dealer/installers recommendation......part of the decision was due to me already having all of the Mallory parts and not wanting to sell it at a loss smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.