Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: where and what files do I copy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
I have my new hard drive setup but I don't have all my IE bookmarks. What files and where are they to copy them over?

biggrin.gif
skline
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NEWGARAGE\Favorites, replacing administrator.newgarage with the name you are currently logged in with and the name of your computer.
Verruckt
What version of windows do you have? If XP, then Skline is right, its in your profile directory which is in Documents and Settings.
Bleyseng
I want to copy off the old hard drive the bookmarks and transfer them onto the new hard drive in the laptop.
running XP
Qarl
I thought you had a Mac!
Verruckt
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ May 22 2005, 10:01 AM)
I want to copy off the old hard drive the bookmarks and transfer them onto the new hard drive in the laptop.
running XP

Both are XP? And, is the old hard drive from this laptop? So all you did was put in a larger hard drive in the laptop?

If yes yes and yes, then the EASY way, would be to put the old hard drive back in, and then copy the "favorites" from your profile, and email them to yourself. Then put in the new hard drive, and then get that email with your favorites and put it in the same exact place on the new drive.

Like Skline said, its C:\documents and settings\"your user name"\Favorites

All you have to do is go into your profile and add them old favorites, it will prompt you that they already exist and if you want to overwrite them, just say yes.
Bleyseng
yeah, thats what I am using for most of the car stuff but I do have a Dell laptop that I use at work and home. Ususally I have most of the bookmarks on the Dell cuz some sites don't work too well with the Mac. I can't use their online catalogs or view stuff.
p914
I don't use IE anymore but there should be an import function on the browser.
Bleyseng
I'll look...... rolleyes.gif
Verruckt
The import function will only work if a compatible browser is installed on the same hard drive.

Bleyseng, did that work???
Bleyseng
There is a bad file on the old hard drive so I can't just fire it up in the laptop. I did hook it up onthe desktop Dell and then imported the file to the laptop. Can't import as IE import wizard says the file isn't compatable. effin windoze.....is their stupid file.

Now what???

What am I doing wrong??

Verruckt
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ May 22 2005, 02:11 PM)
There is a bad file on the old hard drive so I can't just fire it up in the laptop. I did hook it up onthe desktop Dell and then imported the file to the laptop. Can't import as IE import wizard says the file isn't compatable. effin windoze.....is their stupid file.

Now what???

What am I doing wrong??

Ok, then you are just about set...

IE cannot import IE favorites AFAIK. Just copy the favorites to your Desktop machine, and then email them to yourself. Get the laptop online and then download them to the laptop's desktop. Right click on them and select copy, then go into your profile directory C:\documents and settings\"username" and you will see "favorites" already in there. Choose a blank area in there, then right click, and choose paste. It will prompt you that they already exist, and ask if you want to overwrite them, say yes. From there you should be good to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.