Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheel Help Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom73
I am trying to go back to the original type wheel on my '71 from some aftermarket wheel. I picked up a used wheel off of E-bay, but think am still missing something.

On the back side of the hub are three screws and nothing attached to them. Is this for what I have seen referenced as a steering wheel contact ring? Here is a pic of the hub and a pic of the end of my steering column. Hopefuly someone can tell me what is still needed.

user posted image

user posted image

tom...
SLITS
It looks like it is missing the contact ring/turn signal canceling tab.

It could also be missing the button contact found on early cars....not at my office to provide images or drawing from PET.
Tom73
In looking at the AutoAtlanta catalog looks as if there should be steering wheel contact ring, 914 347 835 00, as shown by # 14 below...

user posted image

But is that what is on the end of the steering column in the pic in the first post?

tom...
SLITS
It is a contact ring. The early cars had a "button" type assembly that was spring loaded. When you pressed on the horn ring it made contact and completed the circuit. Horn is wired with a hot contact and a ground. All this goes to the horn relay. The contacts inside the steering wheel activate the relay only. Power is sent to the horn via the relay.

Need to find an image of the early setup.

The later cars had a wire coming up the column that attached to the plate on the back of the steering wheel. Same principal of operation though.

I think I have an extra steering wheel and will post an image on Monday.
SLITS
Sorry Tom....couldn't find an early steering wheel....took images of the later style and an early 911/912 which has a similar assembly. Will have to post them tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.