Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BPGREER
OK, yesterday afternoon I went to close my rear trunk and heard a snap! One of the bolts in the hinge assemby area completely snapped in half. Now I'm not sure how to fix this. I can't get either half out. Has anyone experienced this? I took the trunk lid off and am considering taking the whole hinge assembly off, but am concerned with the spring assembly.
BPGREER
OK. I'm having some trouble posting the pics I took. Its the top bolt in the assembly. This is the first time I've tried to post pics here with the new Mac. I'll keep trying.
Part Pricer
This may fit the bill for a replacement.

http://www.jwesteng.com/pivot.htm
BPGREER
lets see...

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND
You cannot upload this type of file

Is Iphoto not compatible with uploading to this board?

Thanks Henry. I would really like to fix what I have if possible. Even if that costs just as much. I'll be offline for the next couple hours. Thanks for any suggestions though.

Brian
skline
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ May 22 2005, 09:55 AM)
This may fit the bill for a replacement.

http://www.jwesteng.com/pivot.htm

Yeah, I agree, this is a most awesome setup I have ever seen. Its adjustable which makes hood alignment easy compared to the factory setup. Its a must have.
BPGREER
Alright, I think I may have it...
BPGREER
Getting closer smilie_pokal.gif (thanks Mark)
john grier
From what I see it does not look that bad.
It may take some time to just tap and keep on tapping it with a small pick to reverse it out.
If you booger it up to much, get a small drill bit and drill it out, stay away from the thread area and put another bolt in it.
John
BPGREER
Thanks John,

That's what I spent most of this evening working on. The hassle is the tension on the tortion-spring thingie. Now I just need a new bolt and to put it back together.

P.S. You have a strikingly similar last name to mine Grier/Greer.
john grier
Hey again,
Does that mean you got it out?
I the springs are a problem just put a bar stock in it and move it where you want it.
If the bolt peices are still in there put something like kano oil or pb blaster on the bolts to loosen them up. let them soak.
This should work.
Any time you start to hearing any creaking on doors trunks etc. lubricate to avoid frture problems.
John
aircooledboy
Hey bud,

To take the spring tension out of the equation, take a deep well socket just big enough to fit over the end of the spring rod, and put a 12" extension on it. Slide the socket onto the rod as far as you can, then push down the the extension and tuck it under the stationary side part of the engine screen cover. That takes the rod safely off the roller, and out of the way while you work on the hinge. Clear as mud?

If that doesn't make sense to you, let me know and I will go take a pic of what I mean. beerchug.gif

BTW, that piece that is broken off in the body side of the hinge should move freely if I'm not mistaken. Mine does. I'm pretty sure you should be able to pry it out of the pivot bracket.
BPGREER
Thanks for the advise. Makes perfect sense. I imagine you've done it a time or two. That's the one plus to repeat work, it gets that much easier everytime as you come up with new ways to do it. My car sat garaged for 17 years, so I think the part of the bolt that should act as a hinge completely siezed up with rust in there. I will take the other side out and lube to avoid another "snap."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.