Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 72 2.0 with stuck parking brake.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmtrnavsky
My 914 was unexpectedly put into storage a few years ago, and when I tried to take it out the parking brake was stuck. I can release the handle, but the left rear wheel still won't turn. any suggestions on how to get it loose so I can get it on a trailer and take it home?
rhodyguy
Take the pads out.
mepstein
Put air in the tires, make sure its in neutral, hook up a tow strap and pull it down the street. It usually breaks free
BeatNavy
I'm actually having the same, or similar, problem on my '72, but since mine is driven daily and yours has been in storage it's possible your brake caliper piston has seized in the bore.

In my case, what I am able to do is reach under the car and gently tap on the brake line with a hammer where the cable exits the cable sheath as show in the pic below. Make sure e-brake is off and car is in gear! Then something (the cable, the spring at the caliper, who knows?) gives way and it releases. I've taken to keeping a small ball peen hammer in my car. If that doesn't work I'd try what Mark and Kevin suggest, perhaps in that order.

I may post another thread about the issue I am having...

Click to view attachment
burton73
I had this problem with the 1970 I just bought last week that had been sitting for 32 years. We put air in the tires and rocked it front to back and it un froze. The brakes still work.

Bob B
mepstein
we do it often on cars we purchase.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 5 2017, 10:32 AM) *

I had this problem with the 1970 I just bought last week that had been sitting for 32 years. We put air in the tires and rocked it front to back and it un froze. The brakes still work.

Bob B

agree.gif or sometimes I just pull the pads. You may need a little WD40 to help the pads slide out.
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 5 2017, 01:26 PM) *

or sometimes I just pull the pads. You may need a little WD40 to help the pads slide out.

Or since its going on to a trailer, just loosen up the the two caliper bolts and slide the whole thing free of the rotor. Either pulling pads or removing the caliper could be a challenge if there is much of a ridge on the rotor.
bmtrnavsky
I tapped on the cable thingy and it came loose with a ton of oil. just needs new pads now. YAY!

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Oct 7 2017, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 5 2017, 01:26 PM) *

or sometimes I just pull the pads. You may need a little WD40 to help the pads slide out.

Or since its going on to a trailer, just loosen up the the two caliper bolts and slide the whole thing free of the rotor. Either pulling pads or removing the caliper could be a challenge if there is much of a ridge on the rotor.

porschetub
I have a few cars ...well actually too many I have learnt not to leave handbrakes on,the rust that forms on the disks is enough to cause issue when moving.
Everything that has been suggested is correct ...good luck and go well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.