Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helloooo :) and rich carbs!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scooter311
First of all, I wanna say a big howdy to everyone - I've been gone for a while, but I have a few minutes to say HI and I hope you're all OK. My job is still keeping me frickin' busy, and with the nicer weather I'm outside doin' stuff.
One 'a those stuffs is DRIVING MY 914 - woooo, what a good time. One bad thing though, is it's running really rich - you can't stand behind the little stinker because the fumes get in your hair, your clothes, yeesh it even leaves a little cloud of fumes when I take off. It's a 2056, with weber 40s - last year it was perfect, however over the winter I replaced the stubby short intakes with a set of tall ones, and tossed the monza for a custom banana-sport-style that I made. Could those two changes have made the difference, or is there something wrong with the carbs? How about timing? If it's a jetting issue, what are some targets I should be shooting for (what do you guys run), and where can I get a jet kit? I'm going to assume that because it's rich, I'm already at the high side, so I should try going smaller with the jets - also, where should my focus be, main jet, low speed (pilot?) etc... I'm in Upstate NY, not sure of the altitude.

If anyone remembers, I did a few things to it (exhaust, interior, etc) and have talen some pics of it all, but have had trouble posting them. I keep getting 'cannot load pictures of this type' drivel - they're jpegs, should they be something else? I've been trying for a while now, but with dialup it's like torture to hafta wait and then get an error message. Plus, I'm a doofus and it' sbeen so long since I've posted I can't remember headbang.gif

Anyways I miss hanging out here, and I hope all you doods and chicks are well and driving your teeners!!

Jeff
driving.gif
driving.gif
driving.gif
SLITS
Jelloooooooo Jeff.......

Sitting over the winter....

1. collapsed/leaking/incorrect setting floats?

2. stuck/detoriated needle valves?

3. fuel pressure to high

With fuel pump running, take cleaners off and see if fuel is dripping from fuel bars/orifices.

I don't know if the taller manifolds would give you a higher signal (vacuum) at the fuel ports.
scooter311
Hawdy Mr Slits thanks for the reply

To check the fuel pressure, should the car be running or not?
I *did* turn up the fuel pressure a tad to compenste for a starvation dilemma at higher rpms, uh ohh.....

idea.gif
scooter311
Okeydokey I just checked the fuel pressure - at 3.5lbs, there's just a few small drops dripping from the orifices, and as I increase pressure, I can see the drops turn to a slight stream up to 5. There was no difference in the exhaust fumes at any level, so I left the pressure at 3.5. Nothing happened with the pump running by itself, I had to start the car, so I answered my own question on that one rolleyes.gif .

How do I measure and adjust float height, and what height should they be at?

Tanks y'all

aktion035.gif
SpecialK
Here's a diagram of IDF float settings. You'll have to pop the top of the carbs off to set/check your float level... not a big deal though. rolleyes.gif

You may want to drop the fuel pressure to between 2.5-3.0 psi and see if that helps, it sounds like your present pressure is pushing the needles of their seats. How accurate is your pressure gauge?

Measurements are in mm.
scooter311
Ahh, thanks for the diagram.... I'll check the float level next - is it possible that too-high of fuel pressure could damage the valve or seat? It was just before putting it away last year that the pressure was turned up to 4psi, to make up for a drop in pressure over 3500rpm (I could rev the motor while watching the gauge, and see the pressure drop at high rpms, that's when I turned it up). Hmm, maybe as SLITS suggested the floats are stuck or something. This is starting to make sense, uh-ohh unsure.gif

I'll be checking it tomorrow or Tuesday, and I'll let you know what happens- I hope it's that simple. Back to the intakes, has anyone had to alter their jetting after swapping manifolds?

Oh yeah on another subject, I just downloaded Irfanview and will be trying my hand at getting some pics fer y'all too clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.