Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: unknown gearbox
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tersvanwyk
Hi Guys
A year ago I purchased a scrapped fibre glass VW body from old lady. Some student tried to rebuilt it using a set of swing arms and perhaps a combi gearbox? Can I use this gearbox for a Audi V6? The chassis is rusted and consists of (double) square tubes. I know some of you would be able to identify it for me. My next question to you will be, what do you suggest will be the ideal engine /gearbox configuration. I liked the AudiV6 boxster option that one of you suggested.
Would appreciate your feedback. Regards. ters
PS Hope the photos come throughClick to view attachment
Cracker
I don't know what box that is but the output shaft looks very small...

welcome.png

Tony
Mark Henry
Not sure, but I'd say a VW bus automatic because of the sump pan.
Could also be a VW T3 auto made by Borg Warner.

Find some numbers on the case and post them.
Dr Evil
Agree, VW auto, specific model unknown. Interesting.
porschetub
Looks like a VW 411/412 4 speed box,pretty rare as are parts for them,someone told me they a good solid unit,they run a built on slave cylinder for hydraulic clutch also.
DM_2000
It's a manual trans due to the input shaft / release bearing tube.

As a side note, The VW type 2 and 3 auto trans is removable from the final drive.

The rear suspension is coil spring, only the type 4 ( 411 / 412 ) had this. There is a brazilian market sort of type 4 that this could have come out of as well as a south African built T 4.

Got a pic of the body? I'm wondering what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_4

" The 411 was also assembled in South Africa beginning in 1969, in two- or four-door configurations. The four-door only came as a DeLuxe, with an optional automatic transmission, while the two-door was available either as a Standard or a DeLuxe. "

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.