Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear brake bleeder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dimmer
Went to change my brake fluid today. Started at the back right rear, put some liquid wrench on my bleeder and then turned it... IT SNAPPED RIGHT #$@ OFF.

Not leaking any brake fluid

Safe to drive?

How am I going to fix this?

Any idea would be appreciated.
Thanks
914GT
I think you're ok to drive, the piece left inside is still keeping it sealed off. Since there's a hole already in the center of the old screw you could drill it out just enough to use a screw extractor on it. I'd hate to deal with it on the car, I'd most likely take the caliper off and repair it on the bench. But that's me.
McMark
agree.gif
Joe Bob
Another reason to change fluid on a regular basis....the bleed screws don't freeze up....consider speed bleeders when you replace them.
Eric_Shea
What year is your car? If it's a later model then you should have another. If you broke the bottom one... leave it.

If it's an early model and that's the only bleeder, you're going to need to do a little bench work.

There should be a hollow center. You "might" be able to get an extractor in there but before you attempt to turn it, heat the piss out of it with a MAPP or Propane torch. Brakes get hot so you probably won't have any other problems. I doubt if just sticking an extractor in there and calling it a day would work. If all else fails take it to an automotive machine shop and have them drill it and freshen it up with a 7x1 tap. It shouldn't be more than $10 bucks.

There are reverse drill bits you may want to try as well. 6mm or 1/4" should do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.