Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel spacer information and ideas...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BRAVE_HELIOS
Hey all,

Looking for ideas... I have one inch, 5 lug spacers installed right now in the fronts and am wondering if I could add any shims or thicker spacers to allow the tires to come out a bit more. Looks to be a lot of room right now between the tire and the fender lip. I see Elephant Racing has a nice assortment of spacers and shims.

The tire size is: 205/55/16.

Any thoughts?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
At this point, it depends on how much thread you have left on the lug threads. It's hard to tell with closed end lug nuts.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 8 2017, 05:03 PM) *

At this point, it depends on how much thread you have left on the lug threads. It's hard to tell with closed end lug nuts.

Looks to be around an inch?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Rather than just adding spacers, would wider wheels and tires make sense? Most of the added width on Porsche Fuchs wheels is on the outside surface.
porschetub
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 9 2017, 12:29 PM) *

Rather than just adding spacers, would wider wheels and tires make sense? Most of the added width on Porsche Fuchs wheels is on the outside surface.

agree.gif go to 7x16 fuchs, only solution don't stack up spacers...not safe IMO,you can keep your current 1'' you should be ok.
SirAndy
Spacers on top of the adapters? I wouldn't do that.

Time to get a real 5-lug setup and long wheel studs ...
shades.gif
arne
FWIW, I don’t like spacers or adapters on the front at all. Changes the steering geometry (scrub radius). Can make the car twitchy and prone to tramlining or following cracks in the road.

The wheel pictured appears to be either a 16x6 or possibly a 16x7 951 wheel. If it is a 6”, I’d ditch the spacers/adapters (whichever it has) and put 16x8 on the front. That would require a true 5 lug conversion though, if not already done.
porschetub
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 10 2017, 06:37 AM) *

FWIW, I don’t like spacers or adapters on the front at all. Changes the steering geometry (scrub radius). Can make the car twitchy and prone to tramlining or following cracks in the road.

The wheel pictured appears to be either a 16x6 or possibly a 16x7 951 wheel. If it is a 6”, I’d ditch the spacers/adapters (whichever it has) and put 16x8 on the front. That would require a true 5 lug conversion though, if not already done.

Arne I think he is taking about spacers no adaptors,please correct me if wrong ,yes 8 x 16 is the best option for sure but they are kinda like gold,then he has to rub of the anodizing and polish like he has on the rear I would think.
Wheel looks like a 16x6 and only has 36mm offset,not enough for that bodywork.

DRPHIL914
I have 205/55 16" as well , on 6x16 on the front, with 5/8" spacer and have plenty of stud left - I Might go with 7" wide same as I have on the rear, with no spacer -
my 5 lug is the PBM drilled rotor that have the lugs pressed or screwed into them - with that option you could put what ever length stud you wanted , just change your rotor and put in what length stud you need - depending on whether or not you are running open end nuts or acorns.

phil

btw absolutely no issue , ride and tracking perfect.
BRAVE_HELIOS
I took a front wheel off so you all could see what it looks like.

I assume what I have is a spacer and not a proper 5 lug conversion; correct?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Oct 18 2017, 06:16 PM) *

We know what those look like ...
biggrin.gif

They are *adapters*, spacers is usually the term used for, well, spacers that do not adapt from one lug pattern to another.
Yours clearly go from 4-lug to 5-lug.

They're fine for the street but i wouldn't use them if you plan on tacking your car to the track or AX.
shades.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2017, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Oct 18 2017, 06:16 PM) *

We know what those look like ...
biggrin.gif

They are *adapters*, spacers is usually the term used for, well, spacers that do not adapt from one lug pattern to another.
Yours clearly go from 4-lug to 5-lug.

They're fine for the street but i wouldn't use them if you plan on tacking your car to the track or AX.
shades.gif

agree.gif ,holy that's a huge adpator/spacer ...cause that's what is dry.gif .
As an engineer I cringe sorry but all that extra load on the wheel bearing and the fact is it is supported by 4 studs and will mostly never have suitable runout on the wheel mounting face.
Wheel change to a better offset for your bodywork is in order, beer.gif
Chris914n6
It's a really bad idea to add spacers to adapters.
Rotors look close to done making it a good time to just buy properly drilled 5 lug rotors.
If you don't want to get wider & better fitting wheels at this time you can get 1-2" spacers machined with the Porsche center bore on ebay pretty cheap, but make sure they are 14mm studs as the Chinese like to mismatch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.