Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EBrake light keeps blinking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rsjg911
Took the 914 out for a long overdue spin today and when I released the ebrake the red light in the combo gauge continued to blink. I thought I would ask the brain trust here before making any mistakes. Stuck switch? I tried setting and releasing the ebrake several times but no luck. The brake does disengage but the light continues to blink as though it is still set.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions as to how to repair. beerchug.gif
Ron
914-300Hemi
Sounds like the switch in the master cylinder needs to be reset.
Rsjg911
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Oct 8 2017, 09:10 PM) *

Sounds like the switch in the master cylinder needs to be reset.

Thanks Ravi. How would I do this?
Spoke
The reset for the master cylinder switch is on the switch itself under the car.

If the light came on after using the ebrake, check the ebrake switch under the handle. Take it out and check that it free moving.
Rob-O
I think I’d try the easy path first. Check the handbrake switch. It is the same as the door switches that activate the interior light. Handbrake switch is located where the handbrake rests when it is disengaged, on the crossmember that runs across the interior cabin floor. It has one wire that runs to it for power. It is screwed to the metal cross member and uses the cross member for ground. Check that the wire is making contact and not corroded or the wire broken. Then check the ground. Clean it up if rusted and or replace the screw. You can pull the switch easily and check it’s operation. It’s a simple switch with a small spring on it. They don’t typically go bad but the pin can get stuck if it’s worn.

Easier to eliminate the switch as the issue than jacking up the car and climbing underneath only to discover it was the handbrake switch to begin with. If it’s not the handbrake switch, then you can move on to the reset of the master cylinder switch (and the reason why the MC switch needed to be reset).
Rsjg911
Thank you all for your specific suggestionsd on how to remedy. I will start with the switch and go to th master from there.
Ron
arne
If you do need to check at the master cylinder, remember that the switch there does not exist just to randomly require a reset and annoy people, it is ther to warn you of a pressure difference between the two braking circuits that can lead to brake failure. If the switch on the master cylinder is causing the issue, it’s time to give the brakes a thorough inspection and test.
Dave_Darling
In my experience, the warning function of the master cylinder only triggers after it is painfully obvious that something is wrong with the brakes... The pedal in my car got softer and softer toward the end of my first 30-minute track session, and then finally went straight down to the floor. That's when the light finally came on. So it's kind of redundant, at least so far for me...

The way the circuit works is that the master cylinder switch, and the button under the handbrake handle, can each provide a ground for the warning light circuit. If either one of them does, the light starts blinking. If a wire to either switch gets shorted to ground, that also completes the circuit and the light starts blinking.

Find out where the short to ground is, and you'll find out why the light is blinking.

--DD
914_teener
It really matters what MY this problem is linked to.

I know this circuit well in my 73 and it is frankly a complicated switched ground circuit if you look at the wiring diagram for that year.

It started for me when I wanted to get my interior light functioning correctly.

So what year is it?

Not that I disagree with Dave....one should make sure in fact this isn't a brake MC problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.