Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This weekends catch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal44
850 miles round trip on Saturday found me watching a 914 on my bumper.
Just outside of Gilroy California and Monterey. The guy told me he had posted on CL and no one called......well someone did, me. Original paint, a couple of minor dents, 2.0, a '74 built in '73. It will take a weeks to get it cleaned up as barn/field mice made a home behind the gas tank.
Runs like a champ and shifting is smooth. After a two hour scrub, I have yet to find any rust but I know it's hiding somewhere, it's always hiding somewhere.

Thank you middle Californians for not contacting this guy.
malcolm2
beerchug.gif
mepstein
beerchug.gif
914Sixer
aktion035.gif
sb914
And it's red! Must be fast. smilie_pokal.gif
Coondog
Congrats
stownsen914
Nice looking car ...
ValcoOscar
You scored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

piratenanner.gif
Ferg
Nice one, always liked the black bumper-no fog base models.
cal44
The car is so original (sans the muffler, old Anza) I will do no mods. Still retains the VW sticker on the windshield, California blue plate, (I think) the original spare tire, jack etc.
Here is an example of the original paint after a little rub. Interior is a tad rough but not horrible, but, I live not far from Autos International if seats bug me to much.

whitetwinturbo
smoke.gif Dude, mad.gif Kailieefornya Barn Find Score ... Dude smoke.gif
whitetwinturbo
....................what about the garlic?
TheCabinetmaker
Here's my weekend catch. Well, one of them anywayClick to view attachment
cal44
Welp....I've been cleaning and cleaning. Pulled about three pounds of field/barn mouse poo out of the gas tank area once the tank was removed.....ugh. What is confounding is, they poo where they sleep? I usually just go in the living room......

So far this is a most incredible purchase. No accidents, no rust. Lots of parking lot door dings, I'll have the guy come out and remove them as keeping the original paint is a must.

More pics to come as the cleaning advances.
saigon71
Looks like a sweet find! I look forward to seeing her all cleaned up and back on the road.
Larmo63
Yikes, you scored!!!

Put a nice set of Fuchs and a stock muffler on, and you're good.

driving.gif
ottox914
That looks amazing. Nice find.
cal44
I didn't know if anyone would be interested in the cleaning process, but, for those with nothing else to do, like me, here are a few pix.

Someone from day one sprayed the wax (bee) coating under the car. What you see is the paint cleaned up and how it came from the factory. I am expecting a shipment of removable spray sealer at the end of the week to coat again. Another wax type of product I have use for years. It to comes off with mineral spirits, dries clear.

I have found some rusty areas in the battery area but will take care of that in short order. Nothing in the hell hole......(geez I've always wanted to write that without thinking of my ex-wife).

Next will be each wheel well. The wax was sprayed in there and I have done a few small areas to find bright shiny paint. And, finding factory paint marks (off white) in many places. The suspension bits are shiny black also with factory paint marks once cleaned up.
cal44
A little more. Tell me to stop if I'm boing ya'll.
turk22
this is great, keep the pictures coming! beerchug.gif
porschetub
Could be a UK material called Waxoil,I seem the remember that but time moves on av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Nice original car BTW beer.gif .
cal44
It very well could be Waxoyl. Being a reader for over twenty years of Classic and Sportscar (U.K) I have often wondered about the ability to protect metal with this product as they advertise all the time in the magazine.

Some of the U.K 914 guys come on here from time to time. Perhaps they could chime in as to it's effectiveness in the art of protection in occasional rainy weather.

euro911
Cool find. Looks like it's cleaning up real well too aktion035.gif
Pete00
Wow, Nice score !
porschetub
QUOTE(cal44 @ Oct 26 2017, 02:16 PM) *

It very well could be Waxoyl. Being a reader for over twenty years of Classic and Sportscar (U.K) I have often wondered about the ability to protect metal with this product as they advertise all the time in the magazine.

Some of the U.K 914 guys come on here from time to time. Perhaps they could chime in as to it's effectiveness in the art of protection in occasional rainy weather.

Same reader also, my understanding is that it is a good product...been around for a long time.
Owned a low mileage 72 VW bus with UK Devon camper conversion,the stuff was all under the van and because it is soft it stays put from stones etc.
worn

A little more. Tell me to stop if I'm boing ya'll.
[/quote]
Y'all jes trying make us feel bad that we don't got it rust free.
Well, go on. Drive it an have fun. Like you need me to tell you that.
DM_2000
I hope the sunny state people realize that 4 year old road salt zone cars don't look this good.
Dave_Darling
Some of us used to live in the Rust Belt. Those who did certainly remember that....

--DD
forrestkhaag
Wow! Nice....... and you dont even need to change the paint color to get it the right color!!
Woodside914
Great score ~ What a beauty!!

Thank you middle Californians for not contacting this guy.

I was watching that Craigslist car from my location just about 30 minutes north of Gilroy.....I should have at least driven down to take a look at it.... headbang.gif
cal44
Oh hell no !!!!

Welp, as luck would have it, I ran out of it, luck. How a rust free (sorta) 914 could be so nice in every area except the hell hole is proof the area is appropriately named.

In the furthest to reach area, in the bowels of the beast, I found that hell.
Lucky for me no suspension parts are affected, but, I see no way to repair this properly without pulling the engine. Boy, what a cluster.

I would like to thank my friend who insisted I unscrew the brain and move it so that I could be made to shut up about my way cool rust free find.

I am now humbled to a non elevated ex braggart. Oddly, if the factory had only had a weep hole at the lowest part, things may have had a better outcome.
Halfnelson
QUOTE(cal44 @ Oct 26 2017, 01:16 AM) *

Waxoyl is an excellent product, can be injected into box sections or used as an underseal. I have used it on a few cars - trick is to make sure not to bock any drain holes.
burton73
What a great find. California truly knows how to party.

One of the best looking recent finds. You scored big time.

Bob B
cheer.gif cheer.gif shades.gif
SixerJ
Waxoil was great and used to use liberally on my Triumph ...... although no product could ever stop a mid 70 British Layland car rusting. Way worse than 914s
wndsnd
Very Nice Find!

cal44
Back on the ground. Original paint complete with parking lot dings. Oddly doesn't drip one drop, no smoke on start. Got the drivers seat done and new carpet kit.
Done vacuuming out mouse poo, thank gawd.

Next, replace all brake hoses, pads with a good flush of fresh brake fluid. You will notice the wheels are not the bright silver. The PO (original owner) had the wheels powdered dark gray/silver. Although I'm not fond of the wheel design, the color helps offset my dislike of the wheel.
cal44
A tad bit more for your holiday viewing. You will notice the surface rust around the gauges. Another task yet fairly simple to accomplish.

And, the wheel weights are on the outside..........ugh. I'll take care of that as well.
I can't tell you how many times I get into discussions with the tire guys about the weights should be on the backside, not outside. But the car came to me like that.

They will try and tell you the wheels cannot balance well with the weights on the backside.........nope, not true. This has applied to any old car I've done in the last twenty years.
KELTY360
QUOTE(cal44 @ Dec 25 2017, 02:09 PM) *

Although I'm not fond of the wheel design, the color helps offset my dislike of the wheel.

An easy upgrade that will make the wheels look great is to paint the center section black and leave the lips silver. You'll be amazed at the difference.
914forme
And it matches you Quad confused24.gif
pete000
Nice save !
Morph914
Very nice find! I wish I had something that nice to start with.

John
windforfun
I have to ask. What did you pay for it? Very nice car! It's very similar to my first 914. Happy holidays!!!
cal44
QUOTE(windforfun @ Dec 26 2017, 06:18 PM) *

I have to ask. What did you pay for it? Very nice car! It's very similar to my first 914. Happy holidays!!!

Oh'........a gentleman never tells. But, let's just think it had to be a premium for an original paint car. He didn't charge me extra for the mouse poo, mouse pee carpet and eaten upholstery and wires.

windforfun
QUOTE(cal44 @ Dec 27 2017, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Dec 26 2017, 06:18 PM) *

Oh'........a gentleman never tells. But, let's just think it had to be a premium for an original paint car. He didn't charge me extra for the mouse poo, mouse pee carpet and eaten upholstery and wires.

Thanks for the reply. I had to repair my wiring harness in several places for the same reason. I bought an old harness & cut out the exact replacement sections of wire that I needed. I recommend using a heated insulation stripper to avoid cutting any strands. The barrel twisting, soldering, & shrink tubing heating was a little challenging in some places. The section by the stick looked like it was damaged at the factory. You're more than welcome to borrow the old harness if you like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.