Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does this do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Halfnelson
I have a 74 with the centre console and there's a little square mark next to the red heater level - looks like I'm missing this little black box, but question is what is it and what does it do? Thanks Chris

Click to view attachment
dcheek
QUOTE(Halfnelson @ Oct 9 2017, 09:40 AM) *

I have a 74 with the centre console and there's a little square mark next to the red heater level - looks like I'm missing this little black box, but question is what is it and what does it do? Thanks Chris

Click to view attachment

Just a light with arrows to show you what the heater lever does.

Dave
SirAndy
QUOTE(Halfnelson @ Oct 9 2017, 10:40 AM) *
I have a 74 with the centre console and there's a little square mark next to the red heater level - looks like I'm missing this little black box, but question is what is it and what does it do?

It's a indicator light that lets you know at night if you have the heater lever in the ON position.

Worth noting, if you keep blowing fuses for your dash lights, the backside of this light has a tiny wire that is not insulated well and can touch the heater lever mechanism and short out, blowing the fuse.
shades.gif
Halfnelson
QUOTE(dcheek @ Oct 9 2017, 06:52 PM) *

Dave

Thanks Dave, does it light up as the lever is engaged?
ndfrigi
I thought this is a switch for rear glass defroster.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Halfnelson @ Oct 9 2017, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(dcheek @ Oct 9 2017, 06:52 PM) *

Dave

Thanks Dave, does it light up as the lever is engaged?

I believe this is lit whenever the headlights are on. It doesn't light up when the lever is activated. It's very handy if you forget how the lever works. Haha....
malcolm2
It does seem like a waste.

Recently driving to Okteenerfest at about 11pm thru the mtns of GA. If I was cold, I would reach down and pull the lever up. When I got hot, I would reach down and push the lever down.

I could keep my eyes on the road that way. driving-girl.gif

If I was cold and the lever was up, I would have to re-direct the warm air via the dash levers, they are poorly back-lit, so again, I had to feel around.

Now that is the way to drive, not all these LCD screens with tiny lettering on them. Just good ole levers.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 9 2017, 10:52 AM) *

It's a indicator light that lets you know at night if you have the heater lever in the ON position.

Not in a 74, it isn't. It's tied in with the circuit for the license plate lights, the rear trunk light, and the center console instrument lights. That's where the power comes from--and the ground is full-time, not provided by any kind of switch.

Your 70 may be wired differently...

--DD
Coondog
It’s going away when I reupholster my center console. Totally useless.
Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 9 2017, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 9 2017, 10:52 AM) *

Not in a 74, it isn't. It's tied in with the circuit for the license plate lights, the rear trunk light, and the center console instrument lights. That's where the power comes from--and the ground is full-time, not provided by any kind of switch.

Your 70 may be wired differently...

--DD

I had left mine off, but was planning on reinstalling it. I also thought that it came on when the heater blower was on. mine's a 73, I'll have to check the wiring diagram, if its just a light and not an indicator, think I will leave it off.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.