Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group buy air deflector for cooling. Change airflow under the car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
As mentioned we've been working on these for some time. Just getting to finishing these up.
They change the airflow to help cool the engine better.

$28 A set who's in?
rnellums
I'll take 2 sets!
JoeD
Need a set Mark; I’m in!
dr.tim
Yes.
bbrock
Dammit! I'm in for a set, but I only need a half set. smile.gif
gcrotvik
1 set for me please.
deemsriddle
I will also take a set. Deems Riddle
Mr. M
I'm in for a set
7TPorsh
I'm in...been waiting for these...
Mikey914
Also, looks like I may even be able to make for LESS!! I'll keep all posted
JamesM
Im in. I need at least 2 pair.
second wind
Picture?
gg
djway
Hand Up
Mikey914
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 9 2017, 10:32 PM) *

Picture?
gg

I can add some pics in tomorrow
TravisNeff
I am in for one set
mb911
1 set for me.
GregAmy
<---- two pair
clapeza
I'm in for a set!
nditiz1
Do these work better than the stock ones?
Mikey914
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Oct 10 2017, 07:13 AM) *

Do these work better than the stock ones?

The stock one work ok, we have been playing with adding some small "wingtip" vortex generators. On the edges, it's a part that could be cut off for the concourse crowd, but would help improve the movement of air. I generally like to spring options right before the parts are ready, but yes there will be an improvement for those that want it. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
In for a set, one of mine is broke halfway through.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 10 2017, 10:47 AM) *

The stock one work ok, we have been playing with adding some small "wingtip" vortex generators. On the edges, it's a part that could be cut off for the concourse crowd, but would help improve the movement of air.

Geez, how can I resist a "wingtip vortex generator?" I'm in for a set.

Mark, I thought you just flew planes. I didn't think you knew anything about how they work smile.gif
Mikey914
One of the few aviation geeks that decided to build car parts instead of kit planes. However, I have made some parts for some friends experimental aircraft.
So not you too can fly low and fast across the ground biggrin.gif
drem914
I'm in for a set.
Garland
I’ll take one set, please. Another great product
Grosbard
I'm in for a set! Great work!
aharder
I'm in for a set biggrin.gif
brownaar
I'm in. Have to work better than my current ones. New is always better anyway, right?
beech4rd
Put me down for a set. Thanks.
second wind
Pictures please and is there any quantifiable evidence of cooler temperatures? Just thinking out loud here....thank you.
gg
SKL1
I'd be in for 2 sets.
raynekat
Yeah what do these things do? 4 or 6 cylinder?
VoPo914
I'm in for a set. Thanks!
GregAmy
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 10 2017, 04:17 PM) *

If you look under your car, attached to the bottom of the firewall (or, well, supposed to be) are two little air deflectors that hang down. They're supposed to be hanging down from the firewall.

The purpose of these are to - duh - deflect under-body air downward and create negative pressure behind them, under the cylinders. Due to this negative pressure the positive pressure at the top of the cylinders will cause air to flow faster/better downward through the cylinders and heads, improving cooling.

If you don't have these, you really should. It's actually surprising how effective they are.

Edit: found a photos online. It's that black deflector at the bottom of the photo:

IPB Image
hermich
I'm in for one set...thanks!
pvollma
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 9 2017, 09:32 PM) *

As mentioned we've been working on these for some time. Just getting to finishing these up.
They change the airflow to help cool the engine better.

$28 A set who's in?

I'd like a set.
914Sixer
GREAT BUY!!!! The other guys are selling theirs for $49.95.
Mikey914
And mine will be better NOT a URO part
raynekat
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 10 2017, 04:32 PM) *

Well Jeez....you better put me down for a set as well then. wink.gif
gus'914
I'm in for one set...thanks!
dlee6204
In for a set
914Next
Here's a pic of mine when I took them off to clean the undercoating off....before and after.

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
I don't think mine are in bad shape, but I'm in to try better ones.
Mikey914
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 10 2017, 01:17 PM) *

They weren't on the 6 as it was before their time. So from a concurs standpoint no. They will "work" on all. The idea is that the air is flowing past the opening where the engine compartment is and has been directed parallel for at least the 5-6' prior. So these are mounted at he firewall to create a low pressure area on the engine side. The hot air is sucked down and airflow is disrupted. The "vortex generators"are technically a wing-let that allows for more low pressure to build (a more efficient "wing"), and works at a lower airspeed. Honestly, the improvement I have made may only make the part 2-3% more effective (as it does in aircraft). So mine will not be 20% cooler than stock but there is data so show it is an improvement (at least on the aircraft side). Also we can easily shave these off for the CW should you you be in that crowd (and yes I do lean that way, but not a card carrying member).

Hope this helps with the concept and thanks for posting the pics up!.
hndyhrr
I would like a set,please
JOEPROPER
I'm in for a set please.
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 11 2017, 06:11 AM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 10 2017, 01:17 PM) *

They weren't on the 6 as it was before their time. So from a concurs standpoint no. They will "work" on all. The idea is that the air is flowing past the opening where the engine compartment is and has been directed parallel for at least the 5-6' prior. So these are mounted at he firewall to create a low pressure area on the engine side. The hot air is sucked down and airflow is disrupted. The "vortex generators"are technically a wing-let that allows for more low pressure to build (a more efficient "wing"), and works at a lower airspeed. Honestly, the improvement I have made may only make the part 2-3% more effective (as it does in aircraft). So mine will not be 20% cooler than stock but there is data so show it is an improvement (at least on the aircraft side). Also we can easily shave these off for the CW should you you be in that crowd (and yes I do lean that way, but not a card carrying member).

Hope this helps with the concept and thanks for posting the pics up!.

The amazing thing about this forum is that the answers come before I even have to ask the question. Thanks Mark! Definitely in for a set.
NeunEinVier
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 10 2017, 06:32 PM) *

Lol, too funny. Don't believe Uro manufactures these anyhow. Interested, adding it to my lengthy "would be nice to have" list.

EDIT: I stand corrected, apparently they do. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=317435
whitetwinturbo
Yup confused24.gif I'll take a set beer.gif
rick 918-S
In for a set.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.