Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb Tuning and CA gas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Well, another milestone has been passed. I started my journey with Dell's here in CA with the standard 60 idle jet (mind you I've been running Dells for over 20 years) Over the years (and different motors) I've slowly crept up. 62's in the early 2000's. 65's in 2010 or so... Today, tuning the 914 after my 3 year build, 70's! Yup... you heard right - 70!!! The same motor 3 years ago ran a 65.

I couldn't believe it myself. My LM-1 is acting up, so I couldn't verify my AFR, but I even rebuilt the carbs first. It went for snapping and popping out the exhaust, a stumble in transition, and the mixture screws not responding "cleanly" to clean low end and a nice "report" from the mixture screws.

I'll be picking up a new O2 sensor to see where it landed...

2056cc
2L heads cleaned up
86A cam
9.5: CR
4-1 header with Phase 9 muffler
40 Dellorto DRLA: 200 Air, 145 main, 70 idle

Welcome to 10% ethanol oxygenated fuel...

-Aaron
stugray
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 9 2017, 08:30 PM) *

Well, another milestone has been passed. I started my journey with Dell's here in CA with the standard 60 idle jet (mind you I've been running Dells for over 20 years) Over the years (and different motors) I've slowly crept up. 62's in the early 2000's. 65's in 2010 or so... Today, tuning the 914 after my 3 year build, 70's! Yup... you heard right - 70!!! The same motor 3 years ago ran a 65.

I couldn't believe it myself. My LM-1 is acting up, so I couldn't verify my AFR, but I even rebuilt the carbs first. It went for snapping and popping out the exhaust, a stumble in transition, and the mixture screws not responding "cleanly" to clean low end and a nice "report" from the mixture screws.

2056cc
2L heads cleaned up
86A cam

-Aaron

Use Stabil or find gas without alcohol. You WILL get white deposits inside the carbs when the gas (alc) absorbs water from the atmosphere and then the gas & alc evaporates leaving the water to attack the carb bowls. If you drive the car frequently and dont let the bowls evaporate, it is not so bad. In a race car it will clog the jets. A filter doesnt help.
yeahmag
I use tons of Marine Stabil. Even considering Carb Defender from Driven.
sithot
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 9 2017, 11:30 PM) *

2056cc
2L heads cleaned up
86A cam

-Aaron

Ever seen the jets in an "alcohol" race car? They're huge. We're fortunate enough here to have non-ethanol "laced" fuel in 93 Octane. I feel for guys who have to run this crap in old cars and bikes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.