Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot careful with that train eugene
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
from my niece. laugh.gif

k

For those who believe nothing exciting ever happens in Kansas, except tornados and explosions, check this out

It was a normal day in Sharon Springs, KS when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal train for the long trek back to Salina.
Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing became overheated and melted off letting the truck support drop down and grind on top of the rail creating white hot molten metal droppings that spewed downward on the rail.

A very alert crew noticed a small amount of smoke about halfway back in the train and immediately stopped the train in compliance with the rules.
The train just happened to stop with the hot wheel on top of a wooden bridge built with creosote ties and trusses
rhodyguy
asdf
rhodyguy
qwer
rhodyguy
zxcv
rhodyguy
poiu
rhodyguy
lkjh
rhodyguy
mnbv
TimT
WOW
URY914
DAMN!

Wood will burn when it gets hot.

Paul
ClayPerrine
It was a friggin Coal train. I bet the coal in those cars burned for days!!!! ohmy.gif
redshift
Train bridges are one of our most valuable renewable resources.

rolleyes.gif

M
jd74914
Holy shit. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that train. ohmy.gif
Aaron Cox
so- will a steel girder bridge be put up? or will they use wood again? wink.gif
redshift
Train bridges are for wussies. They need ramps, and alot of good juju.

M
sixnotfour
Wowzer, Why didn't they move the train when the fire started?
drew365
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ May 22 2005, 07:38 PM)
Wowzer, Why didn't they move the train when the fire started?

Would of ruined the live news coverage. biggrin.gif
Carl
Geez, I hate it when that happens ... mad.gif
TJB/914
Hey Rohdyguy.

You didn't say when this happened. One of my Utility friends in the coal dept. said ICC mandated Roller Bearings on all rail cars since 1970. Rarely does this happen anymore.

Looks like the trucks & cars are vintage 10-yrs ago.

Tom

URY914
Roller bearings?

Mike, you hear that?

Paul
rhodyguy
must have been some what recent tom. note the lack of a caboose . my wife's family, in nebraska (lincoln), are railroad folks. one brother and a brother inlaw work the grand island run on COAL unsure.gif trains!! the niece that sent me that, fiance does track maintenance. one nephew just went full time with BNSF and his brother is on a casual labor/call list. appearently it happens just often enough to burn down trestles. biggrin.gif the fire trucks and the silver p/u look older, not the bnsf rail runner or the cop car.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.