Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I finally got a 914 (with a problem tho)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
YksKrad
Yeah I finally got a 914... It's 76 with 2.0 converted to a Weber carb. I drove it 230 miles home without problem, with one, well two exceptions.

I'm having trouble with first and reverse gears. Reverse is just plain hard to find, dunno if that’s just a characteristic of the car or not. However my main concern is 1st which pops out of gear when you first let of the clutch (this happens without fail), but then it always stays in the second time??? I'm not sure what could cause this, but with my limited knowledge I would guess it's loose linkage.

If anyone can tell me how to fix this (reverse I don't have a problem with so it's kind of a backburner problem for me), but the first gear popping out is a lil un-nerving because of the short period of grinding when it pops out. What I don't get is why it never works the first time but always the second.

I would guess you need more information than I'm giving so tell me what info you need.
jim912928
In some cases popping out can be to many things moving around. I'm almost guessing you have two problems. The hard to find sounds more like slopply linkage. For less then 20 bucks you can buy all new bushing for the entire linkage. It's a morning job to replace but man it makes it shift unbelievably well. This also gives you an opportunity to adjust the linkage in case someone else messed with it.

The popping out of gear when you take off could be too much movement in the driveline when torque is applied. You could have worn out transmission and/or engine mounts. So, when you let out the cluch everything moves and can pop things out of gear. That is an easy fix also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.