Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need paint advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Most of the exposed surfaces on my 911 are either fiberglass, or carbon fiber.

I guess at some point I have to prime the whole car with a primer/surfacer, or primer/sealer

Does gel-coat glass need to be primed?

In all im thinking there will be 3 different surfaces to be painted, gel-coated fiberglass, carbon fiber, and steel/bodyfiller surfaces ( just A and C pillars)

any advice will be appreciated
Rusty
IIRC, most paint systems offer a flex-additive for panels that might have a bit of "give" in them.

Decide what paint system you're gonna use (Sikkens, PPG, etc) and then go to the auto body supply store. Every auto body supply store I've been to, the clerks there have been really helpful. They don't want to sell you crap you don't need... the paint business is competitive - they want repeat business and recommendations.

-Rusty smoke.gif
914gem
The Ft Riley guy has good advice. The main thing you want is to make sure everything is smooth, a lot of block sanding. Use a good sandable sealer that matches the paint you chose. I would suggest a base coat clear coat system with the clear coat being a Euro or Glamor clear. If you use a metalic, put your last coat with a little extra air and back away a little to get the flake to come out more. Take your time and watch out for nats this time of year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.