Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: John Delorean was inspired by the 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grosbard
Check out this picture

Click to view attachment

from this article in Fortune.

Am I correct in thinking that that is a picture of a 914 in the background?
cal44
Yes, and a Fiat X19
Mueller
Of course he was inspired by the 914, that is why he built the Deloren out of rust proof stainless steel* smile.gif

*yes I know some SS can rust
My 914
He put up a picture of the most futuristic car design at that time!
porschetub
QUOTE(cal44 @ Oct 13 2017, 10:15 AM) *

Yes, and a Fiat X19

The X19 hhhmmm,they called them mid-engined,saw one once and never thought that...funny how that picture reminded me how rear engine they were dry.gif dry.gif .
My brothers mate bought his Delorean back to New Zealand after living in Australia,despite all the issues with these cars they amazing to see in the flesh,@ the time it was the only one on the road in my country.

EdwardBlume
Interesting table. I would have expected it to have a mirror on it though. av-943.gif
DM_2000
The car on the table looks like the 1973 Corvette rotary that was built on a 914 chassis.

See my posts 1 and 3.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=corvette

Bob L.
QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Oct 12 2017, 06:16 PM) *

The car on the table looks like the 1973 Corvette rotary that was built on a 914 chassis.

See my posts 1 and 3.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=corvette

The front end looks a lot like the 84 Corvette.
burton73
My buddy Steve was an importer of Pantera's to the USA and said that picture was Delorean
Going over the idea of Mid Engine Corvette for GM

I had a 84 Corvette and that is what I thought so I asked him.

Bob B
Ed_Turbo
Every designer looks at other cars for ideas and inspiration. Today these guys really copy others that is why these ugly new throw away cars look the same.

-Ed
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 13 2017, 11:27 AM) *

My buddy Steve was an importer of Pantera's to the USA and said that picture was Delorean

Bob B

Was your buddy Steve Wilkinson? We went to high school and played football together. If you see him again, tell him Elliot said, "hi".
burton73
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 14 2017, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 13 2017, 11:27 AM) *

Bob B

Was your buddy Steve Wilkinson? We went to high school and played football together. If you see him again, tell him Elliot said, "hi".

My Buddy is Steve Hitter.

Panteramerica was California based and owned by Barry Gale and Steve Hitter, they were possibly the earliest gray market importers of Panteras.

Bob B

BACK TO THE FUTURE
Now you look at the history of the Cobra, going back to its AC roots, you find AC bought the design from an independent specials builder. And AC kept doing that, because decades later AC officials go to another car show and see a mid-engined car built by independents, called the Diablo.
They buy the design and put it into production. By now it’s the ‘70s. Mid-engined is all the rage. AC introduces it as the AC 3000ME — a small 2-seat mid-engine sports car powered by a transversely mounted Ford Essex 3.0 liter V6.
The car was wedge-shaped with a fiberglass body. It had what you call a ‘bathtub’ steel chassis with substantial front/rear subframes and an integral roll bar. Suspension was independent double-wishbone suspension all around, and it boasted rack and pinion steering, and four-wheel disc brakes.

Steve has this one off car Signed glovebox by Carol Shelby: AC introduces it as the AC 3000ME
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.