Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tracking down vehicle history
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Dutchbyname
Hi everyone. I’m new here and to 914 ownership. I recently purchased from an importer an early 914 which appears very original. I’m trying to trace a vehicle history if possible. I’m mainly interested in past owners things like that. Here in the UK getting history from our DVLC has become much harder over the years. I’ve tried to get hold of your government body but draw a blank straight away. Am I wasting my time with this or is there a way?
Regards to all

Andy
orthobiz
From an importer? I'm thinking that perhaps the car was in the US and is now in the UK? I would look at any of the papers that came with the car, search for the people on the web and try to contact them.

Post pictures of the car here, you'd be surprised at how many people recognize their own car or even their buddy's car (or "mate's car" in UK?).

Also check the VIN database here.

Paul
Dutchbyname
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 15 2017, 01:11 PM) *

From an importer? I'm thinking that perhaps the car was in the US and is now in the UK? I would look at any of the papers that came with the car, search for the people on the web and try to contact them.

Post pictures of the car here, you'd be surprised at how many people recognize their own car or even their buddy's car (or "mate's car" in UK?).

Also check the VIN database here.

Paul

Hi Paul
Yes my apologies the car was imported from California this year around June time. To the UK! I’ll get this right soon I’m sure. I’ll post pictures up when I sus out how too. And yes mates is correct although our terms cross more than one might think.
Cheers fella

Andy
Click to view attachment
Racer
There is no common database here for vehicle owners, especially a car of your's age. You could start with the VIN and engine number and request a COA from Porsche. This should tell you the basics of the car and how it was configured, pending the dealer messing around with it. However, it won't tell you where it was sold (what state) or to whom.

Since purchased from an "importer", they may or may not have had any supporting paperwork for the car. That would be your best bet.

From the pics, the car had California plates. Perhaps there is a way to "reverse look up" in a california database, at least who the last owner was.. then hit the internet.

Adding or checking for the vehicles VIN in the 914world database would be worth a try too.
Dutchbyname
QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 17 2017, 01:52 AM) *

There is no common database here for vehicle owners, especially a car of your's age. You could start with the VIN and engine number and request a COA from Porsche. This should tell you the basics of the car and how it was configured, pending the dealer messing around with it. However, it won't tell you where it was sold (what state) or to whom.

Since purchased from an "importer", they may or may not have had any supporting paperwork for the car. That would be your best bet.

From the pics, the car had California plates. Perhaps there is a way to "reverse look up" in a california database, at least who the last owner was.. then hit the internet.

Adding or checking for the vehicles VIN in the 914world database would be worth a try too.

Thank you for your reply. I’ve got a few bits of paperwork and I’ve hit the net and got various bits of history. I’ve drawn a blank at going any further with it all. I will enter the vin on the data base but if my investigation work is correct I’m going to be loading a new car to the system. I had the same problem with past US imports I’ve had. Such a shame.
cal44
Don't spend to much time on this. I've been doing old cars in California for decades and finding out past ownership is long gone. That is unless I'm doing it wrong.

Dutchbyname
QUOTE(cal44 @ Oct 18 2017, 04:36 PM) *

Don't spend to much time on this. I've been doing old cars in California for decades and finding out past ownership is long gone. That is unless I'm doing it wrong.

Thanks cal44. I’ve been lucky enough to have some paperwork but you guys have tied down info so tight I think the life’s gone out of it. I’ll keep plugging away until I’ve upset everybody on my investigation list.

Cheers bud
Specracer
Because of modern privacy laws, California dmv is no longer a source for info, I remember reading this on their website if I recall. I've tried. I have a 66 vehicle, I have rumors that the original owner was Disney land, but I can't find some way to confirm. I have had a federal agent run it, but their data didn't go back far enough. Info is there, as this vehicle still had its California "black" plate.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have had good luck hiring a title clerk to do research for us with amazing results. If we do not know the registration state of the car, we put the id number into the government data bank (places like carfax use this) and usually the last registered location of the car comes up. THEN we look on the internet for a good title clerk usually in the state capitol region and hire them to do research. They can look in the archives, find the last registered owner as well as from whom they purchased, and from there trace the history in that state until the trail stops with the first time the car came into the state. THEN they get that out of state title information, and YOU go to that state and start the process all over again. States have title information that goes way back.
Dutchbyname
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 2 2017, 03:09 PM) *

we have had good luck hiring a title clerk to do research for us with amazing results. If we do not know the registration state of the car, we put the id number into the government data bank (places like carfax use this) and usually the last registered location of the car comes up. THEN we look on the internet for a good title clerk usually in the state capitol region and hire them to do research. They can look in the archives, find the last registered owner as well as from whom they purchased, and from there trace the history in that state until the trail stops with the first time the car came into the state. THEN they get that out of state title information, and YOU go to that state and start the process all over again. States have title information that goes way back.

This is a fantastic bit of news! Thank you so much for this. The car was new in CA and has never left CA from what I can see. But if your saying that there’s a chance I can prove the suspected one main owner from new I would be over the moon.
Thank you very much for your advice I’m obliged
Kind regards
Andy
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes just did the same thing for my original 84 911 I purchased new. Found the current owner in California and am negotiating to buy it back from him. Still have the original window sticker!

QUOTE(Dutchbyname @ Nov 2 2017, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 2 2017, 03:09 PM) *

This is a fantastic bit of news! Thank you so much for this. The car was new in CA and has never left CA from what I can see. But if your saying that there’s a chance I can prove the suspected one main owner from new I would be over the moon.
Thank you very much for your advice I’m obliged
Kind regards
Andy

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.