Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rebuilding shifter: Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
Put new bushings in a 914 tail shifter shifter, Thanks to Joe fro providing a nice used unit at a very reasonable price.

so I'm stuck trying to get the springs back in - the ones with the pins going through them. I can't seem to get em compressed enough to fit em inside the housing.

are there any secret Yoda tricks, or do i just need to roid up and brute force it. and if thats the case - where the heck is Mark Henry when you really need him?
mepstein
There's a thread on this but I clamp a vise grip to the end of the spring, start the pin in the shifter and the opposite end of the spring. Once the pin is halfway in, bend the spring to the shifter and push the pin home.

Always wear safety glasses. The spring is under some compression and the pin should keep it in place but these are 40 year old parts so you need to take precautions. Leather work gloves can't hurt either.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 14 2017, 02:35 PM) *

There's a thread on this but I clamp a vise grip to the end of the spring, start the pin in the shifter and the opposite end of the spring. Once the pin is halfway in, bend the spring to the shifter and push the pin home.

Always wear safety glasses. The spring is under some compression and the pin should keep it in place but these are 40 year old parts so you need to take precautions. Leather work gloves can't hurt either.

Thanks Man, worked perfectly, I appreciate it.
mepstein
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Oct 14 2017, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 14 2017, 02:35 PM) *

Thanks Man, worked perfectly, I appreciate it.

Awesome!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.