Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhausted?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tjmrfe
Hey Gents,
Eckler has a 74 1.8L exhaust on sale...I have a ‘75 1.8L
Stock, it should fit? Can anyone tell me if it would?
How much difference could there be between a ‘75and a 74 1.8?
Thank you in advance....
GeorgeRud
I’d check that the 75 doesn’t run thermal reactors or other emission items that may make it different. You might want to check the PET to see if it’s the same part n7mber for both years.
bretth
74 and 75 and very different but you can swap one for the other as long as all parts are swapped including heat exchangers and the ducts that bring the heat into the cabin. Muffler connections are totaly different and can't be used without swapping everything.
Mark Henry
Basically you will need 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers (2) and muffler - 1974 down.
I don't know if there's a different muffler hanger, but it would also be '74 down.

Other than that it will work fine, but be aware many will say get the 2.0 exhaust for more muffler choices. Some guys really like the quiet-ish 2.0 banana muffler. The 1.7/1.8 exchangers muffler flanges sit higher than on the 2.0, so parts are not interchangeable.
Dave_Darling
The muffler hanger is different as well.

So you would need, from the earlier car:
- Heat exchangers
- Muffler
- Muffler hanger
- Exhaust gaskets
- Heater ducting (S-ducts, J-tubes, flapper valves)

So pretty much the whole exhaust and most of the heating system. But the whole thing will swap over.

--DD
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 16 2017, 06:10 PM) *

I’d check that the 75 doesn’t run thermal reactors or other emission items that may make it different. You might want to check the PET to see if it’s the same part n7mber for both years.

Thank you
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 16 2017, 09:29 PM) *

The muffler hanger is different as well.

So you would need, from the earlier car:
- Heat exchangers
- Muffler
- Muffler hanger
- Exhaust gaskets
- Heater ducting (S-ducts, J-tubes, flapper valves)

So pretty much the whole exhaust and most of the heating system. But the whole thing will swap over.

--DD

Thank you.
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 16 2017, 07:28 PM) *

Basically you will need 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers (2) and muffler - 1974 down.
I don't know if there's a different muffler hanger, but it would also be '74 down.

Other than that it will work fine, but be aware many will say get the 2.0 exhaust for more muffler choices. Some guys really like the quiet-ish 2.0 banana muffler. The 1.7/1.8 exchangers muffler flanges sit higher than on the 2.0, so parts are not interchangeable.

Thank you.
Chris914n6
75 & 76 are a log header into a single tube into dual mufflers designed to fit a cat inbetween for smog.

70-74 are long tube headers (better) into a single muffler (stock).

It's only like a 5 hp benefit and 5-10 lbs saved.
rjames
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 17 2017, 01:54 PM) *

75 & 76 are a log header into a single tube into dual mufflers designed to fit a cat inbetween for smog.

70-74 are long tube headers (better) into a single muffler (stock).

It's only like a 5 hp benefit and 5-10 lbs saved.

In these any hp gain is almost worthwhile. Backdate the system if you can.
Bulldog9
Tangerine.... Your Welcome ;-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.