Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Experts Advice Please!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
Those not familiar with my thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=261197
I have been working on this car on and off over the past four years where I bought it from PO who had worked on it for about 3 years. I recently installed the engine and trans and have been feeling my way through hooking things up. A few days ago I put Swepco 201 in the trans and then came out the other morning and found it was leaking from the left axle seal.

This trans had been gone through under PO direction to add the 6 intermediate plate, perform an inspection, change a gear, a needle bearing, and gaskets. It has been sitting now for potentially 4-6 years, all indoors.

Right seal was not leaking but I was planning to change that seal too. Right side not apart yet and it could be in better condition since it is not leaking. Hoping this is the worst case scenario.

The pictures appear to show rust inboard of where the seal rides.

First question: Is rust in this area common?

Second question: Is there something further I can do short of pulling it to assess the internal health? And if not

Third question: Does this look like a complete tear down is warranted? Or

Fourth question: Should I just replace the stub shaft/ shafts? and call it good?

Last point is I am having a hell of a time getting the seal out.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Are they from a /6 or /4?
If a /4 you should be able to pick up a set fairly cheap in the classifieds.
If a /6 you can get them hard chromed and reground to size. It's not the same chrome as on hubcaps, etc.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 16 2017, 08:41 PM) *

Are they from a /6 or /4?
If a /4 you should be able to pick up a set fairly cheap in the classifieds.
If a /6 you can get them hard chromed and reground to size. It's not the same chrome as on hubcaps, etc.

I believe this to be the original 901 4 trans that is going to have a 3.0 6 driving it.
porschetub
Oh dear,pretty much toast really the cost to repair would be right up there,they would need to ground to a small diameter seal,that pitting on the running surface is very deep....that's the issue,not worth fixing or you could go to a seal sleeve.
Shop around used parts price on these is all over the place,100% think a seller on here will have them.
McMark
That rust was already there. It was bad before it sat. Just grab a new one from the classifieds, clean it up and reinstall. New seals aren't a bad idea.
Dr Evil
Hit me up, I have sets for cheap. That is toast and would have thrashed your seals. If it was ever run with those shafts, the seals need replaced. However, they are like $5 ea for the seals and easy insurance to just do it while in there. I have the seals, too.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 17 2017, 06:16 AM) *

Hit me up, I have sets for cheap. That is toast and would have thrashed your seals. If it was ever run with those shafts, the seals need replaced. However, they are like $5 ea for the seals and easy insurance to just do it while in there. I have the seals, too.

Thanks I will PM you when I get the other one out later today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.