Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Billy Wrench? Advice??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Does anyone have the wrench for getting the Bilstein inserts out of the struts?

I've always been a Koni guy and don't know too much about these. Greg Peters, did you ever find out more about the oil? Does anyone know about the oil/fluid in the front struts? (it's not like the anti-freeze other mfgs. recommend).

Thanks in advance.
seanery
My damn neighbor Billy wakes me up every morning at 6:30am wretching...I'd be glad to loan him to you! laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
Well, if he can get these inserts out, send him. biggrin.gif
seanery
Hey man, I'm thinking about coming out for a couple weeks. My friend just moved from Park City down to the Sugar House area...I've been summoned to help her wink.gif I'm hoping for the end of June.
Eric_Shea
Bring Billy... biggrin.gif

It's beautiful out here. Go West young man, go West.

E.
sixnotfour
Bilstien strut assemblies ?Has the roll pin at the bottom, holds the end of shock in place. Right , the fluid is because the shock insert is blown out and it leaks down into the strut housing, The rubber bumper in the bottom is prob. a gooy mess.
Order the wrench when you order new inserts,

I have one if you cant find one closer. aktion035.gif
Eric_Shea
These are early 914 struts with Bilstein inserts. So where do you order parts for these buggers?
mightyohm
Hi Eric.

Whoever sold you the inserts should have some lying around. Shox.com gave me one when I first ordered some Bilsteins but omitted it the second time. They only include one if you specifically request it.

HOWEVER, the tools leave a lot to be desired. The metal is soft and bends easily, rendering them useless (and make it easy for you to slip and hurt yourself while you are torquing the shock.)

If you don't mind making a few nicks and scrapes in the threaded collar (noone will see it anyway), take a nice BIG pipe wrench and use that instead. It works great and you can really torque that sucker down (granted it is to an unknown amount, but whatever).

Harbor Freight sells a set of largish pipe wrenches for a few bucks, I have used them a ton for all sorts of things they were not intended for!

Eric_Shea
These are used. Me no got them new... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.