Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Paint idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
On one of the airbrush boards I frequent, I read a funny post. An artist was hired to paint a restored car to look like it did before the restoration. By this, the owner meant to replicate dents, rust throught, rust bubbles, etc. The artist did a pretty good job. I could only imagine one of our own 914 maniacs doing the same.
xsboost90
i saw a 57chev along time ago, was painted red, blower, slicks etc. They airbrushed the emblem on the trunk crooked, then airbrushed a piece of duct tape over the corner of it to look like it was holding it on. pretty cool.

you would pay alot to get that done on a 914 though, and would you do the longs too or just the outside. Down in the hell hole?
JmuRiz
Sounds like what some of the HotRod guys do, to make their newly done old-school hotrods look like rat-rods. I think it works on those cars, not so much for a 914.
djm914-6
I don't know; I think the 914 croud should jump on this one. Bikers have the skull thing, rodders have "tru-fire", led sleds have pin-stripes. Teeners should take on "Tru-Rust".

user posted image
ArtechnikA
i think you're on to something.

a few yeaars back, there were actually spray cans of "Mud," "Clay," and "Dirt" for the 44 owner who never went offroad but wanted the vehicle to (always) look like it was fresh from the mud bog...

i've looked at airbrushing a "carbon fiber" texture but i think it'd actually be easier and cheaper to overlay with real carbon fiber...
djm914-6
Not true. I've done a few carbon fibre faux jobs and they're pretty easy. Two colors plus a clear and you've got a real, artificial, CF object.
scotty b
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ May 23 2005, 03:37 PM)
Not true. I've done a few carbon fibre faux jobs and they're pretty easy. Two colors plus a clear and you've got a real, artificial, CF object.

Cheesecloth?? or Drywall tape?? or other method?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ May 23 2005, 07:37 PM)

pls do disclose yr method...

offlist if appropriate (proprietary and all...)
i have a couple of faux CF items here - one is truly crappy and the other looks decent from a sufficient distance. i also have some real CF and there is no mistaking the fake stuff for real...
CptTripps
Here's how I do a decent job at replicating CF....

Get yourself some toolbox padding. You know the stuff...

KobaltĀ® 22.5" Zerust Drawer Liner
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=true...me=096523911404

I use black as the undercoat, and then pick up a silver and a white.

Paint whatever surface black. When it's dry, lay down the drawer liner, and LIGHTLY mist it with white. DO NOT move the drawer liner. Now lightly mist it with the silver. Then, a VERY light Black. Now it's safe to remove the drawer liner. Let that dry, hit it with 5-6 coats of clear, and you are in good shape.

From 5ft, it looks DEAD ON!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.