Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 123 Distributor Group Buy Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
(double post)
In case anyone's curious, here's how we got a manifold vacuum signal to the 123. The T on the left going down through the tin leads to my mechanical vacuum gauge on the dash (which came with the car). On the mechanical vacuum gauge the reading was a bit bumpy (even using two cylinders), but the 123 software seems to know how to dampen this (e.g. a low-pass filter), as it showed a steady signal in the 123 Tune app.

I'll probably add an inline fuel filter to smooth out the signal on my vacuum gauge.

Out of curiosity we also tried plugging into the Dellorto's vacuum port. It did indeed act like port vacuum, so not as useful for my purposes as manifold vacuum.

Doing family stuff today, so haven't yet configured a MAP curve.

Since manifold vacuum should go to zero at WOT, vacuum advance should have no impact on WOT performance (such as a dyno run). Vacuum advance should improve part-throttle performance, including drivability and fuel economy (since with the proper advance you need less pedal to cruise at a given speed).

Click to view attachment
echocanyons
Is anyone having issues with this distributor?

I installed it and it was running beautifully for a short time.
Now it starts and runs fine at first but then has significant issues after driving for a few miles.
It seems like it is cutting out and not firing, this happens for a short time then it is ok for a while.

Prior to installing this there were no issues.

I really like the adjustable advance but it’s basically undrivable in its current condition.

Any ideas?
914_teener
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 3 2018, 01:55 PM) *

Now it starts and runs fine at first but then has significant issues after driving for a few miles.
It seems like it is cutting out and not firing, this happens for a short time then it is ok for a while.

I really like the adjustable advance but it’s basically undrivable in its current condition.

Any ideas?

Do you have the carbed version or D-jet?

I have D-jet and I just got done with a drive....it has been running flawlessly.

My quess is that it is something else.
echocanyons
I have the BT programmable version with L-Jet.
914_teener
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 3 2018, 02:36 PM) *

I have the BT programmable version with L-Jet.

I'd check the cap to make sure it's on securely. Then the plugs gaps and the wires.

Just a quess.
echocanyons
I swapped out a new coil, new wires and new plugs.
No chamge with any of these.

The strange thing is that it runs like a top initially then a few miles in it cuts out. It does this continuously once it starts and is basically undrivable after that. Once you let it sit for a while it works fine, then back to the same situation.
mgphoto
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jan 4 2018, 06:47 PM) *

I'll have to check on that Kevin. I am running Ljet on a 2056 with a 9550 cam. I would like, no, really like to eliminate the pinging under hard acceleration at higher rpms.

This way, I could completely put my foot in it whenever... biggrin.gif

I had the same issue, been dumping a bottle of MMT in a tank of regular gas, makes it act like 100 octane.
Found only 2 brands that work so far, Royal Purple and Lucas. Others don't seem to have the MMT concentration.
mgphoto
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 3 2018, 03:11 PM) *

I swapped out a new coil, new wires and new plugs.
No chamge with any of these.

The strange thing is that it runs like a top initially then a few miles in it cuts out. It does this continuously once it starts and is basically undrivable after that. Once you let it sit for a while it works fine, then back to the same situation.

Check your cap and rotor for cracks, small voltage marks along the sides of the terminals shorting to ground.
euro911
I'd reinstall your original distributor and see if the problem is with your new distributor or something else.
Porschef
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 3 2018, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jan 4 2018, 06:47 PM) *

I'll have to check on that Kevin. I am running Ljet on a 2056 with a 9550 cam. I would like, no, really like to eliminate the pinging under hard acceleration at higher rpms.

This way, I could completely put my foot in it whenever... biggrin.gif

I had the same issue, been dumping a bottle of MMT in a tank of regular gas, makes it act like 100 octane.
Found only 2 brands that work so far, Royal Purple and Lucas. Others don't seem to have the MMT concentration.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot. beer.gif
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 3 2018, 01:55 PM) *

Any ideas?

Have not seen this, but it's too rainy and cold to drive much where I am.

I'm curious whether there is any pattern to the temperature reading in the 123\Tune app when the problem occurs.
echocanyons
I will give reinstalling the other distributor a shot.

I haven’t noticed a difference in the temp, I’ll have to do a test run and see.
I didn’t notice any voltage drops when this was happening on the app.
echocanyons
What should the normal peak temp be for the distributor?

I just changed the wires and cap we will see if this helps.

914_teener
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 4 2018, 01:03 PM) *

I just changed the wires and cap we will see if this helps.

Not sure what the normal op temperature of a stock distributor is. Good question.

There was some "loose" discussion of 90C as you might have read, might be a problem.

90C translates to 194F. I've had mine out in 100 plus temps ambient and no issues.

I have a friend with and infraometer so I'll check when I can get a hold of it. I seriously doubt that is a or THE problem.

I think it uses the Hall effect to fire the spark. Since you have L-jet it can't be an MPS magnetic field. Inductance with the coil being to close to the dizzy?

Just wild a** guesses. I agree with Mark. Put the old dizzy back in....if it runs perf then it's the dizzy.

Morrie
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 3 2018, 03:55 PM) *

Any ideas?

Make certain your timing is set correctly. If you are not totally sure that TDC mark visible is correct, get a bore scope or even a well placed mirror and look at the back side of the fan. A "0" should come up in the slot there for TDC on #1. Maybe you somehow have too much advance, or maybe not enough, and the engine is running too hot.

Another possibility is that there is a thermal problem with one of the components inside the distributor (defects are possible, sometimes not the fault of the manufacturer but rather the component supplier). If you have an IR thermometer, go ahead and run the car till it acts up and measure the temp at the base of the distributor near the clamp. I have seen distributors so hot they hardened and crystallized the rubber O ring. You don't want to be THAT guy.

If you have followed everyone's advice, and have a well tuned engine, plus followed the installation instructions to the letter, it may be time to exercise your right to warranty repair/replacement from 123.....

Does anyone disagree?

StratPlayer
No disagreement here, I've been running my 123 for over a year without any problems what so ever. I'm running a D-Jet 2056 and I love this dizzy. Sorry to hear about the problems some people are having. sad.gif
rhodyguy
What is the role of the vacuum line that runs down thru the engine tin?
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 5 2018, 01:44 PM) *

What is the role of the vacuum line that runs down thru the engine tin?

The car came with a mechanical vacuum gauge in the dash, so I was curious to hook it up.
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 4 2018, 01:03 PM) *

I don't know, but today I guess my dizzy was somewhere below 140ºF while engine was up to operating temperature on a cold day. Oil temp was 175ºF and cylinder head #3 was somewhere under 350ºF. Haven't had any distributor problems yet, and motor running much better with new DRLA 45s. Wish I had heat exchangers though.

Click to view attachment
echocanyons
I tried to reinstall the old dizzy but for some reason it doesn’t work, I tried a different one and got the same result. I’m not quite sure what to think about that.

In regards to heat, I had the temp up to 185 and it seemed to work fine.
I put about 50 miles on it between yesterday and today and it only started acting up on the last three miles.

I’m thinking that this may be a grounding or short issue rather than a primary issue with the dizzy.

1adam12
Just out of curiosity, what is the need for the included spacer in these kits and did you have to use it for your application?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(1adam12 @ Mar 2 2018, 11:54 AM) *

Just out of curiosity, what is the need for the included spacer in these kits and did you have to use it for your application?

The shaft of the new dizzy is too long and otherwise won't fit snug on the case. So yes, you need the spacer to get it to fit properly in a type 4.
1adam12
Thank you sir!

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 2 2018, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(1adam12 @ Mar 2 2018, 11:54 AM) *

The shaft of the new dizzy is too long and otherwise won't fit snug on the case. So yes, you need the spacer to get it to fit properly in a type 4.

rjames
Reviving an old thread. Thinking about picking up one of these. Was going to start a new thread, but probably makes more sense to keep the info contained on a single thread.

My Q: How many people are running theirs with the stock coil? Given the entrance fee, I don't want to spend any more $ than necessary.
StratPlayer
When installing a 123 it’s recommended you buy a new blue coil
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jun 18 2019, 02:54 PM) *

When installing a 123 it’s recommended you buy a new blue coil

agree.gif Even if......

And, best distributer set up I've used; only mistake I made was not getting the Bluetooth version
914_teener
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 18 2019, 01:20 PM) *

Reviving an old thread. Thinking about picking up one of these. Was going to start a new thread, but probably makes more sense to keep the info contained on a single thread.

My Q: How many people are running theirs with the stock coil? Given the entrance fee, I don't want to spend any more $ than necessary.

You will be fine with the stock coil.
Morrie
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 18 2019, 03:20 PM) *

I am using the stock coil here also. Works great with my D-jet 2.0.
rjames
Found the non Bluetooth version for a bit cheaper here (and only $10 to ship).
I’m running stock DJet. Is the Bluetooth version necessary?

123 Distributor
914_teener
Read the first couple of posts in this thread for the right one to get.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 19 2019, 12:49 AM) *

Found the non Bluetooth version for a bit cheaper here (and only $10 to ship).
I’m running stock DJet. Is the Bluetooth version necessary?

123 Distributor

Yes, that looks like the correct part number for D-Jet models. Bluetooth is not necessary and in fact is not an option for D-Jet models (unfortunately). I think they didn't have the space to accommodate the trigger point functionality and requirements of Bluetooth.

The Ignition 1-2-3 USA sales rep has an account here. You can try PM'ing him if you have questions.
Rand
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 18 2019, 09:30 PM) *

Read the first couple of posts in this thread for the right one to get.

rjames, You do not need bluetooth. !

Installing mine soon, let me know if you want to collaborate.
euro911
Mine is patiently hibernating until it's time to wake it up ... yellowsleep[1].gif
rjames
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 19 2019, 02:38 PM) *

rjames, You do not need bluetooth. !

Installing mine soon, let me know if you want to collaborate.

Purchasing the 123 distributor has been delayed for me. Just found out my MC is leaking. headbang.gif
Keep me posted on how the install goes. I'll get there eventually....
rjames
Ok, I bit the bullet and ordered the 123 distributor. Hopefully the install goes smoothly. Hope this will help in sorting out the current issues the car is having. The longer it doesn't run, the more I think about selling it when I eventually do get it running...

Ferg
bumping an older thread to see if those who ordered and installed are happy and they have proven reliable?

It's on my winter list of possible upgrades.

TIA

Ferg
BeatNavy
Yup, it's solid. I'm happy, and it's still rocking. Mine is the D-Jet one, and I'm using curve "B."
michael7810
Mine has about 500 miles and not a problem. I have the Bluetooth unit and once I learned how it works the tune-ability is awesome. I tried a couple different curves including vacuum advance but I ended up with a straight line 0-28* at 3k rpm without vacuum advance. You really need a dyno to do anything more custom (or someone riding in the passenger seat to adjust the app while driving). I locked the distributor down at TDC so that my actual timing is equal to the distributor advance reading on the app.
You have to launch the app first, then turn the key on or it won’t connect (this is after the initial pairing).
rjames
Simple install, plug and play. A few hundred miles on mine with no issues so far.
Ferg
Cool, thanks everyone.
thomas@vintagecarleds.com
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 23 2019, 03:45 PM) *

Yup, it's solid. I'm happy, and it's still rocking. Mine is the D-Jet one, and I'm using curve "B."

What are you setting your timing to at idle with curve B?

I am about to pickup on of these here soon!
DRPHIL914

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 23 2019, 05:21 PM) *

Mine has about 500 miles and not a problem. I have the Bluetooth unit and once I learned how it works the tune-ability is awesome. I tried a couple different curves including vacuum advance but I ended up with a straight line 0-28* at 3k rpm without vacuum advance. You really need a dyno to do anything more custom (or someone riding in the passenger seat to adjust the app while driving). I locked the distributor down at TDC so that my actual timing is equal to the distributor advance reading on the app.
You have to launch the app first, then turn the key on or it won’t connect (this is after the initial pairing).

1,300 miles over the past 15 months since installing it. very happy. D-jet, running curve B I think with vac advance. in fact , drove it to work today, had not been driving it a lot partly due to recent failure and replacement of the master cylinder, also trying to keep it clean , don't want too much work to get it ready for the next car show here in 2 weeks.
you will like not having to mess with points and the f.i. trigger points plate!
BeatNavy
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 25 2019, 03:39 PM) *

1,300 miles over the past 15 months since installing it. very happy. D-jet, running curve B I think with vac advance. in fact , drove it to work today, had not been driving it a lot partly due to recent failure and replacement of the master cylinder, also trying to keep it clean , don't want too much work to get it ready for the next car show here in 2 weeks.

Pretty sure curve B is retard only, not advance. I've been running around 26 degrees on curve B on my new 2056 rebuild. Anything significantly higher than that and I was getting pre-ignition, presumably due to higher compression. Before the rebuild I was running it on a 2056 at 27 degrees without any issue, except it did want to idle slightly higher than factory.

It's solid.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 25 2019, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 25 2019, 03:39 PM) *

Pretty sure curve B is retard only, not advance. I've been running around 26 degrees on curve B on my new 2056 rebuild. Anything significantly higher than that and I was getting pre-ignition, presumably due to higher compression. Before the rebuild I was running it on a 2056 at 27 degrees without any issue, except it did want to idle slightly higher than factory.

It's solid.

lol I will have to recheck, maybe not curve B? its been a while since I put it in, idea.gif well anyway what ever it is, its running good and has proper idle and AF is right where it should be. I do remember that half the settings are for no vac hook up and the other half are intended to be used with the vac hooked up, and that's the side I am on,
9144me2enjoy
I have a Raby 2270 with carbs, having problem getting the engine to run after installing 123Ignition with Bluetooth. After reading through the above threads I’ve the following questions:

1) Before I pulled the old 901 Dizzy/Distributor I feel comfortable I found TDC, when I reinserted the new 123 Dizzy the Rotor was not pointing in the same direction as the 901 towards the 901s #1 plug wire position! It sounds like that isn’t totally important as long as after the 123 is installed I place the plug wires in the correct position with the direction of the rotor being #1 then as follows clockwise 4-3-2 or counterclockwise 2-3-4 with the plug wires.

2) When the Bluetooth 123 version arrives it has an empty brain? Therefore one needs to program the unit to get it started/running? McMArk states earlier that 0-1000 =12 degrees and 3500-10000 = 28 degrees and vacuum advance curve is Zero 0. Which I assume I can go to the 123app and once I’ve located the green light on the Dizzy I can go into the curve screen and plug those numbers in?

Thanks for any suggestions.
914_teener
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Dec 6 2019, 08:31 AM) *

I have a 1.8 Raby 2270 with carbs, having problem getting the engine to run after installing 123Ignition with Bluetooth. After reading through the above threads I’ve the following questions:

1) Before I pulled the old 901 Dizzy/Distributor I feel comfortable I found TDC, when I reinserted the new 123 Dizzy the Rotor was not pointing in the same direction as the 901 towards the 901s #1 plug wire position! It sounds like that isn’t totally important as long as after the 123 is installed I place the plug wires in the correct position with the direction of the rotor being #1 then as follows clockwise 4-3-2 or counterclockwise 2-3-4 with the plug wires.

2) When the Bluetooth 123 version arrives it has an empty brain? Therefore one needs to program the unit to get it started/running? McMArk states earlier that 0-1000 =12 degrees and 3500-10000 = 28 degrees and vacuum advance curve is Zero 0. Which I assume I can go to the 123app and once I’ve located the green light on the Dizzy I can go into the curve screen and plug those numbers in?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Definately the retard curve. A 1.8 Raby 2270 ... a 901 distributor......
9144me2enjoy
A little history on the 901 Dizzy. My understanding when the previous owner received the Raby engine it came with a Mallory ignition about 8-10 years ago. The previous owner had nothing but problems with the Mallory for some reason which is probably why it was discontinued. He then replaced the Mallory with a 901 Dizzzy which ran ok but was definitely not reaching the potential of this engine. The car set for several years until recently which I’ve decided to upgrade to the 123 to get performance up to specs.
euro911
Do you have a timing light to determine where your timing is currently set?

Since it ran somewhat ok with the 901, I'd reinstall it and note the readings, then reinstall the 123 and set to the same readings you got with the 901 ... then you could adjust + or - as needed from there.

If you're getting pre-detonation (pinging) under load, retard it 'X' degrees.

At least with the bluetooth app, you can adjust it under real road conditions
9144me2enjoy
Mark, I will try that when I get back home this afternoon. Thanks and I would like to thank Rob (BeatNavy) for helping me get this far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.