Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Pulley
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
Hi everyone,

I am about to replace my alternator but, the pulley nut won't even break free at the moment. It's currently soaking in PB Blaster.

I have two questions though:

1) can I use a regular 22mm socket on that nut? It seems awfully tight on there.

2) Do I need a puller to get the pulley off the shaft?

I have already transfered the wires over and put the non-conductive material on the one post to keep it from shorting out on the back plate.

I was looking on Pelican Parts to see if they just had a replacement pulley but I didn't find one. If I need a puller, I might just order a used one from EASY in northern Ca.

Please let me know your thoughts when you have a minute. The sooner I know what direction I need to go and get this done, the sooner I can get the core back.

Thanks,

Mike
rmdinmd
you might be able to borrow a puller from your flaps store. at least around here there are several chains that have free loaner tools, you pay for them and then get refunded when you bring them back biggrin.gif
iankarr
Assuming the alt is out of the car...Use a screwdriver to span two of the indentations on the pulley and keep it stationary while you use an impact wrench to break the nut free. Took me just a few seconds to remove my broken pulley.

I bought a replacement pulley from someone on the samba. Here's the link.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=1717422
mmichalik
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the impact wrench tomorrow. No idea why it didn't occur to me to do that in the first place.

If it's still stuck on there, I'll see if I can't get a loaner puller. Hopefully I won't need to go that route though.

Have a great evening!

Mike
porschetub
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Oct 19 2017, 04:43 PM) *

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the impact wrench tomorrow. No idea why it didn't occur to me to do that in the first place.

If it's still stuck on there, I'll see if I can't get a loaner puller. Hopefully I won't need to go that route though.

Have a great evening!

Mike

Heat ,heat then chill,penetrant....it will come off,no flash tools needed, beer.gif
914Sixer
Make sure you take the key way out first before trying to remove pulley.
McMark
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 19 2017, 08:15 AM) *

Make sure you take the key way out first before trying to remove pulley.

confused24.gif

It's just remove the nut and split-lock washer, then slide the pulley off...

Sometimes the pulley just comes off. Sometimes it takes a little persuasion. And sometimes it absolutely won't come off and has to be beaten, cut, and destroyed... pinch.gif

Good luck, and if it does get stuck, don't fight it forever. Once it's dented or deformed, just give up because at that point it's already dead and you should just find another good used one.
Bulldog9
Heat....... then tap with hammer a few times, nut should come off much easier, same with Pulley.
mgphoto
Use a leather belt to protect the pulley. Impact driver is best, for the nut, pulley stuck on the shaft is best removed with a shop press, harbor freight has 12 ton is cheap or find a local machine shop or friend.
mmichalik
Good morning, Guys!

Following everyone's advice here, I got the pulley off the old alternator and on the new one.

And now the alternator is on the engine and looking beautiful.

Have a great weekend!

Mike
iankarr
congrats! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.