rhodyguy
nice car. but YIKES.

kevin
rhodyguy
two. ah, where did that wire go?
rhodyguy
got coin?
rick 918-S
Very nice. That's where Porsche should have gone with this chassis. I wouldn't change a thing. But after the buldged panels and the 2.8 twin plug just how "original" is it. (YA I know he means the chassis just being a wise guy)
thesey914
Can you post a pic of the whole car, Kevin? I'd like to see how the flares look in proportion to the rest of the car. Are those eights on the rear?
krk
OOooooo... I likes it! I can just imagine the looks when people start counting the wires and say "hey, wait a minute....". biggrin.gif

Did he mention what tranny, or other suspension goodies were on it?

To get 29.9K for it, he has to call it a "'72 914 GT/916" or something. lol.

kim.
rhodyguy
i'm going up for the session today as well. i'll wash a few more disc's and get some better shots. the guy was being hounded. maybe it sold yest.

kevin
Mountain914
Don't be dissin' on those flairs, now !!

Seriously, you gotta love that twin plug design.
Here's a newbie question - I used to run a twin-plug Hemi for a short time. Did Porsche do the twin plug for the same reason, to improve spark / fuel ignition and provide redundancy should one plug not spark in the cylinder? OK - probably a dumb question, as why else would you do it. Or... was it due to the design of the head?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Jul 6 2003, 08:10 AM)
... I used to run a twin-plug Hemi for a short time. Did Porsche do the twin plug for the same reason, to improve spark / fuel ignition and provide redundancy should one plug not spark in the cylinder? OK - probably a dumb question, as why else would you do it. Or... was it due to the design of the head?

early Porsches used hemispherical head designs. small displacement, high compression, the combustion chamber looked liked an orange peel with the high-domed pistons needed to achieve the racing standard 10,3:1 compression...

so - to improve flame travel, due to the CC design, a second plug was used. made it possible to take about 15-deg out of the spark advance.

for endurance racing, the additional reliability was a plus, i'm sure - not just for the plugs, but for the wires and CD boxes.

the slightly earlier 4-cam engines also used twin ignition, IIRC without CD.

aircraft engines use twin ignition almost exclusively for redundancy - they have huge combustion chambers, and low compression.
airsix
QUOTE(krk @ Jul 6 2003, 06:57 AM)
Did he mention what tranny, or other suspension goodies were on it?

Looks like Vern Lenz' car. If so, it's got vented 911 brakes on all corners, raised-spindle RSR bilstein struts, charlie bar sway-bar (various sizes), 260# rear springs, custom rollbar (not full cage, but very very nice), huge oil cooler, Triad muffler, 250hp to the wheels from a 2.8 twinplug w/ MFI. The tranny is a 901 custom geared including 2nd (904 main shaft and a spare). This car well sorted and very freqently takes TTOD at local events. I've looked at it inside and out and on a lift and it's very clean.

-Ben M.
Andyrew
Lee, I love seeing pics of your car, If my memory doesnt fail me, you bought it like that right? (I remember you had 3 of one wheel and 1 of another, and had no clue what kind of wheels they where because you just bought it. If not, how where those fenders made? cutting the fender then pulling it out, then replacing with sheet metal in the gap?)

If I could justify putting those wide of tires on my car I would (by justify I mean having some power to back up the look, a stock 2.0 4 wouldnt quite do it, im thinkin 280 hp subaru or 350 cheb..) It is because of which I am thinking of flaring my fenders to allow maybe 245's, but I'll run 225's with spacers till I get some power..
Mountain914
Andyrew - the sheetmetal was done by Custom Auto Body and Fabricating (Phoenix) by the P.O.
All 4 of my wheels are the same... but I've been known in the past to bend a wheel or two on a rainy track... and if it happens to this one (after I unpucker my pants) I want the knowledge to know where I can get another one. These wheels have become quite a mystery - as I have yet to find someone who can properly identify them. Yes they are custom made, no markings. No, they are not Kenesis.
There are some pictures of the flares prior to painting at: http://gallery.rennlist.com/mountain914 Cut and fabricated one - no seams to be seen (or rust!), even from the inside!
I have a 227hp Subaru WRX Turbo - but though the engine might be a good fit, I don't think I would ever do it, I like having Porsche parts in my 914 (as something different lol3.gif )

ArtechnikA - thanks for the info on the 2.8! I didn't think about the spark advance aspect of it.

rhodyguy - what did you find out? More pics? Sold?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Jul 6 2003, 08:10 AM)
Here's a newbie question - I used to run a twin-plug Hemi for a short time. Did Porsche do the twin plug for the same reason, to improve spark / fuel ignition and provide redundancy should one plug not spark in the cylinder?

In addition to what Rich said, the "rule of thumb" is that you can run about a full point more compression with a twin-plug setup in a 911 motor than you can with a single-plug setup. More compression == more efficiency == more power!! biggrin.gif

--DD
Aaron Cox
no-one saw the kill switch on the engine grille? seems a little silly wacko.gif
or is that a fuel line shutoff valve?
Aaron Cox
here:
Brad Roberts
Not silly when every RACE org calls for one. This is the easiest spot in the world to mount one and hook it up (right above the battery).

B
Aaron Cox
i didnt know he raced it confused24.gif i guess the 2.8 rs motor was a good hint?
seanery
I'm sure this is Chuck Atkins car (wheter he owns it or not). The car saw many, many DE days, he is an instructor for the Touring Car Club in SoCal.
airsix
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jul 7 2003, 12:25 PM)
i didnt know he raced it confused24.gif i guess the 2.8 rs motor was a good hint?

This car was turned into a race car in the late '70's and that's about all it's done since. I think I've got some short video clips of it if anyone wants to hear a 2.8 RSR belting out tunes through a triad. Where can I upload?
-Ben M.

ps- I'm really sad to see this car up for sale. It's really the only car I look forward to seening when I go autocrossing. I hope a local buys it (Eastern WA).
vortrex
I want to see/hear, please someone, provide some webspace!
Brad Roberts
Just email it to me Ben.. I'll push it to the server.

B
airsix
QUOTE(vortrex @ Jul 7 2003, 04:32 PM)
I want to see/hear, please someone, provide some webspace!

Ok, I got a 10 second clip off the camera. So it's ready and waiting for some friendly server somewhere to host it.
-Ben M.

ps - Hey Brad, how about a user-writable "incoming" folder for user submissions like this?
Brad Roberts
I would like for everyone to have FTP login they could use to access "space" on the server.. but automating something like that so we didnt have to babysit it...is a small pain in the ass.

Soon... but not any time soon.

B
rhodyguy
if you HAVE to turn the power off it's easier than running to the drivers side. opening the engine lid. grabbing the wrench. running back to unhook the terminal. of course, if for some reason the rig is smoking, you move faster.

kevin
Brad Roberts
OK. Here is the sound bite from BenM.

http://www.914world.com/downloads/videos/vern2.wmv

YOU must have Windows Media player to listen to the sound..

I also posted this one... Eddie Bello flat spun his 911 at speed.

http://www.914world.com/downloads/videos/bellospin.mpeg

B
Pompano Beach 914V8
Hey, Mountain 914
I think I know the origin of those wheels. They look like the ones from CCW in Daytona Beach, Florida. The website is ccwheel.com or 888 577- 0144
beerchug.gif
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 8 2003, 11:53 AM)
YOU must have Windows Media player to listen to the sound..

That's errr... um.. video and sound. I hope the windows media format is ok with everyone. Doing it as AVI or MPEG just made the file huge unless I made the quality poor and I didn't figure everyone could view DivX, although that would have been best.
-Ben M.
Mountain914
QUOTE(Pompano Beach 914V8 @ Jul 8 2003, 01:48 PM)
Hey, Mountain 914
I think I know the origin of those wheels. They look like the ones from CCW in Daytona Beach, Florida. The website is ccwheel.com or 888 577- 0144  
beerchug.gif

smilie_pokal.gif Ding Ding Ding !! We have a winner! Yessir - that's them !! Made in 1999 ! smilie_pokal.gif

Great videos - though the flatspin is too small at the best (scariest) part!
redshift

B

oh my god

M
airsix
QUOTE(redshift @ Jul 8 2003, 03:38 PM)

B

oh my god

M

Glad you like it. He he. You think that's good? He has to baby it in first and around the cones or it just makes lots of noise and smoke. You should hear it when he gets on a straight. Truely glorious.
-Ben M.
redshift
QUOTE(airsix @ Jul 8 2003, 04:01 PM)

Glad you like it. He he. You think that's good? He has to baby it in first and around the cones or it just makes lots of noise and smoke. You should hear it when he gets on a straight. Truely glorious.
-Ben M.

I am going to do this conversion, and I am stuck at the motor selection.

I love the sound of the 2.7RS, I love everything else about the 3.0, and now you shove this in my face..

How much does it cost to build that motor?

(insert reply here)

pinch.gif

M
J P Stein
That is a nice car. Vern Lenz owns it, me thinks. He was at the SCCA AX at PIR last month. It was the 2nd fastest 914 there biggrin.gif The twin plug set-up put him in a Modified class. Sounded sweet and makes more power than my 2.7.

I heard he was asking 30K for it. There was some interest in it till they heard the price.
airsix
QUOTE(redshift @ Jul 8 2003, 04:36 PM)
I love the sound of the 2.7RS, I love everything else about the 3.0, and now you shove this in my face..

How much does it cost to build that motor?
(insert reply here)
pinch.gif
M

Around $15,000 from what I gather. Probably $9,000 if you build it yourself.
And JP is right - the car belongs to Vern Lenz of Yakima WA.
-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.