Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Who's got a 3D printer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Anyone got a 3D printer they could run a prototype part I need for my turbo car? Have STL or STEP files from Fusion360.

I just want to check the fit before I spend money on CNC machining. It's a small 1"x1"x2" piece.

I'm also starting to think about investing in one of these. Any recommendations on the latest printers out there?
Spoke
I can print it for you. Send me the STL. I'll PM my email address.
McMark
wub.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif smlove2.gif aktion035.gif
Calwaterbear
I have a makerbot 5. If you send me the STL file I can whack one out pretty quickly. It will be a plastic piece, made of the same stuff as weedwacker line, layers are typically 0.2mm thick
7TPorsh
Post pics when you can...this kind of stuff is too cool...
peteyd
I know its easiest to get the model printed for free by a member, but for the future, here is a company that will do fast prototypes.

https://www.xometry.com/

Pete
McMark
QUOTE(peteyd @ Oct 19 2017, 02:30 PM) *

I know its easiest to get the model printed for free by a member, but for the future, here is a company that will do fast prototypes.

https://www.xometry.com/

Pete

Awesome! Thanks for the reference.
Spoke
Mark, you may want to get someone else to print these parts. My printer is giving me trouble. It's printing the parts but not sure how nice they'll look.
Spoke
The print is 60% done and doesn't look too bad. This is the third attempt at the print. The first one was with the piece flat and the 2nd and 3rd attempts were with the piece standing vertical.

There's 2 parts on this print. Print results are better when there are multiple parts small parts. The last layer printed has time to set up before the next layer comes along.
Spoke
The print didn't come out that bad. Small prints like this have to be viewed as castings in need of finishing. Should be the right size though. You'll have to mic the holes if critical and clean up with a file. I'll drop this one in the mail.
McMark
That should do the job, even if a bit rough looking. wink.gif I appreciate it. I have a couple others in the works since this is also about seeing some outputs from various machines. So all this is a good learning experience for me.

Aside from getting this part made, I'm really hoping I'll be able to develop some contacts and processes to start really building my car the way I really want to.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 19 2017, 07:53 AM) *

I'm also starting to think about investing in one of these. Any recommendations on the latest printers out there?

I have a Stratasys uPrint SE in my classroom (I teach at a high school). They are currently (Fall 2017) $15,900. I used a grant to pay for it. Works pretty awesome. Parts look pretty clean when they come out.

http://www.stratasys.com/landing/uprint-af...able-3d-printer

Makerbots are junk, IMHO. Another teacher had one and it just gave him problems.

Send me the file and I'll print you one. I'll PM my email address.
jd74914
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Oct 19 2017, 08:03 PM) *

I have a Stratasys uPrint SE in my classroom (I teach at a high school). They are currently (Fall 2017) $15,900. I used a grant to pay for it. Works pretty awesome. Parts look pretty clean when they come out.

Makerbots are junk, IMHO. Another teacher had one and it just gave him problems.

agree.gif The Stratsys units are very nice, they have one at school and it puts the Makerbots to shame. Obviously the cost is much higher.
914forme
We have MakerBots and Stratasys. Come on guys two different technologies and systems for 3D parts. And two different cost spectrums. We are now looking at DaVinci's to replace the Makers. Specifically the Pro model with the 3D scanning and laser engraving systems. Right sized for classroom usage, with the capacity to teach all the different concepts. Also other company's can print using SLS technology

I have my eye on Desktop Metal Studio System, @ over a hundred grand for the system and Then just under 50K for the rights to use it it is very expensive right now. 30+ alloys and your printing in metal, makes it worth to keep on my radar.
Mueller
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 20 2017, 04:57 AM) *

We have MakerBots and Stratasys. Come on guys two different technologies and systems for 3D parts. And two different cost spectrums. We are now looking at DaVinci's to replace the Makers. Specifically the Pro model with the 3D scanning and laser engraving systems. Right sized for classroom usage, with the capacity to teach all the different concepts. Also other company's can print using SLS technology

I have my eye on Desktop Metal Studio System, @ over a hundred grand for the system and Then just under 50K for the rights to use it it is very expensive right now. 30+ alloys and your printing in metal, makes it worth to keep on my radar.

No idea on the MakerBots or DaVinci's, but I know with the Stratasys repairs can be very costly. Many parts they will not sell unless you have a maintenance agreement and pay to have their service engineers work on the machines, luckily some of the parts have the original manufactures part numbers on them. I had to replace 4 of the build chamber fans, I was able to source replacements for about 20% of what Stratasys wanted.

They do some sweet prints and I'll never be able to achieve the same results on my lowly Prusa i3 clone at home.
Mikey914
I have a 3D printer. PM me if you still need this.
mark
sanj997
I have a Zortrax M200 if your still looking. PM me if you still require a print.

Sanjay.
Spoke
Lots of different printers mentioned.

Why not everyone make the same part and lets see whose is the best. Mine's done. Who's next?
Zimms
Printed on a Makergear out of PETG.
Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(Zimms @ Oct 23 2017, 04:06 PM) *

Printed on a Makergear out of PETG.
Click to view attachment

What does the other side look like? I printed one copy laying down like that with PETG but the support was nasty and the bottom surface needed a lot of work. I printed the one shown before standing up. I printed 2 parts to slow down the layer time but the top of the 2 parts still needed more time per layer.
Zimms
It's a bit rough. We have been using build Tak and it works well for ninjaflex tpu, but didn't do so well with the PETG. We print a lot of the trickier stuff we machine out of PETG so we can hold it before we start, and we usually have good results.

No picture. I already put it in the mail.
McMark
boldblue.gif
Spoke
How many prints did you get? You have mine and Zimms. Anyone else contribute?

How do the parts compare?

I printed mine on a Rostock Max V2.

We're making a new printer using plans found online at openbuilds. This one moves the bed in the Y direction and the head only moves in the X and Z directions.

All the plastic parts are printed and the frame and parts are purchased. We've got most of the plastic parts printed and should start assembly soon.

OneZ i3

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
McMark
Just yours and Zimms. I have one more on the way from 914 RZ-1, but I just checked and it hasn't arrived yet.

I'm considering working with a guy who's local to me who does aluminum sand casting. I'm gonna see if he'll let me deliver pre-build sandcast molds, ready to pour and just have him do the melting/pouring until I know if it works. I'm pretty sure an aluminum casting furnace is in my future. Good winter project. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.