Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Shaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
When drive 10-15 mph on a local street that's not newly paved I get feedback up the steering shaft. It sounds like something is not tight. The steering wheel end has little play and the car has new shocks.

Any thought on where I should be looking ?

11/13/17 Update: turned out to be the top nut on the new Bilsteins was not tight,
SirAndy
The rubber donut that connects the shaft to the rack can wear out.
The play on the wheel can be cured with a sleeve.
idea.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2017, 09:58 AM) *

idea.gif

Which sleeve? Is there a part #? Sorry, I'm lazy...
Steve
As far as I know the sleeve is specific to a 75 or 76 914.
Pelican sells it.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/928-...amp;SVSVSI=.htm

tygaboy
Steve - perfect! Mine's a 75 and currently has a bit of a wobble...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 19 2017, 10:29 AM) *
As far as I know the sleeve is specific to a 75 or 76 914.
Pelican sells it.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/928-...amp;SVSVSI=.htm

Hmmm, mine looks a lot different, it's sort of corrugated and tapered. It really snugs up the bearing and shaft.
idea.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2017, 09:58 AM) *

idea.gif

OK: If I remove the gas tank, what do I want to look for ?
Steve
It’s a PIA... even if you remove the tank, there is a plastic cover that cannot be removed without dropping the rack. I cut mine off to replace the doughnut shaped bushing. My bushing was fine, but I replaced it anyway.
jim_hoyland
So it’s only accessible from under the car ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 19 2017, 12:04 PM) *
It’s a PIA... even if you remove the tank, there is a plastic cover that cannot be removed without dropping the rack.

agree.gif

You can, however, drop the whole rack without removing the tank
jim_hoyland
What else needs to be disconnected before dropping the rack ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 19 2017, 01:14 PM) *

Since ball joints are a royal pain in the buttocks, especially if you don't have the correct tools for them, i find it easier to just drop the whole front end.

A-arms and rack and wheels and shocks and all that.

Like this:

IPB Image
rhodyguy
Leave the calipers with the chassis.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 19 2017, 03:46 PM) *
Leave the calipers with the chassis.

Good point!
idea.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2017, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 19 2017, 01:14 PM) *

Since ball joints are a royal pain in the buttocks, especially if you don't have the correct tools for them, i find it easier to just drop the whole front end.

A-arms and rack and wheels and shocks and all that.

Like this:

IPB Image

Awesome!
jim_hoyland
It was caused by a loose top nut on the driver side shock.
Steve
Interesting... I had a knock coming from the front suspension, when I hit an uneven corner, speed bump, etc. I thought it was something in the sway bar. Took a lot of crap apart to find out the top nut was also loose on the top of my strut. I think the washer is supposed to be bent up to prevent the nut from moving. Both of my washers were flat. After torquing the nuts, i bent the washer up on both nuts, so it doesn't happen again.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 14 2017, 07:36 AM) *

Interesting... I had a knock coming from the front suspension, when I hit an uneven corner, speed bump, etc. I thought it was something in the sway bar. Took a lot of crap apart to find out the top nut was also loose on the top of my strut. I think the washer is supposed to be bent up to prevent the nut from moving. Both of my washers were flat. After torquing the nuts, i bent the washer up on both nuts, so it doesn't happen again.

Does the washer have ears on it ? I didn’t notice any on my new front struts. I may Apply some blue loktite

Steve
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 14 2017, 12:47 PM) *

Does the washer have ears on it ? I didn’t notice any on my new front struts. I may Apply some blue loktite

It shows it in the manual.
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 14 2017, 03:47 PM) *

It does not have ears.
It has a tab that engages a slot on the strut shaft.
After tightening the nut the washer edge is pried up against one of the 'flats' of the nut.
Yes, you can use locktite
The strut shaft can be kept from turning by grabbing the beefy washer on top with a big Channelock
Not pretty but it works

Larmo63
Doesn't the strut shaft end have a spot for an Allen wrench?

Just went out and looked, OOPS, mine don't. Nevermind. headbang.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 14 2017, 05:55 PM) *

Doesn't the strut shaft end have a spot for an Allen wrench?

Just went out and looked, OOPS, mine don't. Nevermind. headbang.gif

Have you tested the tightness of the nut ? I was surprised that that nut could come loose.... sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.