Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 digit ‘type’ number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arne
Hi again, everyone. Please refresh my memory - is the 6 digit ‘type’ number found stamped anywhere on the car, or can you only get that from original documents?

Click to view attachment
Gustl
no - it's an internal number that identifies the specification of the car
arne
Rats, that’s what I thought I remembered. So if a car is lacking the window sticker and warranty booklet, that will always be a mystery. Thanks for the reply.
sithot
My owners warranty booklet states "914 CONV" on that line. biggrin.gif I have the window sticker too. Type listed as #473644

JeffBowlsby
This may help:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm
Coondog
Click to view attachment
arne
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 19 2017, 02:15 PM) *

That’s for the chassis number stamped by Karman. The type number is totally different, only applied to the 4 cylinder cars as imported by VW. In VW-speak, the 914 was Typ 47. The final 4 digits donated which engine and packages a car was built with.
arne
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2017, 02:13 PM) *

Jeff, that chart is great for deciphering a type number that you know. But if I was looking at, say for example, a ‘74 1.8 with a console in the trunk, I have no way to know if it is an appearance group car, or just a base model with some options or later additions. Without knowing the type number first, there is no way to reliably backtrack it. Or so it seems to me.
davep
Doing a little research and came across this old thread. When I purchase the data to write up a CoA-type of Report for a 911 or 914 I do get the Model #. This is essential to knowing what the base equipment is for the car. The appearance group or the performance group each add several options otherwise not specified as an installed option.
Dave
914Sixer
That number is on the Window Sticker. It is the base order code for the car as shown in Jeff's chart.
Ansbacher
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 19 2017, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 19 2017, 02:15 PM) *

That’s for the chassis number stamped by Karman. The type number is totally different, only applied to the 4 cylinder cars as imported by VW. In VW-speak, the 914 was Typ 47. The final 4 digits donated which engine and packages a car was built with.

I only did a limited Google search, but I cannot find anywhere that VW ever designated the 914 as a Type 47. It is not included on any list of Type Numbers I could find.

Ansbacher
davep
Stamped into the manufacturer tag on every 914/4 except 1976
Click to view attachment
And the 3 in 473xxx is the code for the Karmann 914 Targa body
0= Porsche built coupe
1= Porsche built Targa
2= Karmann built coupe
3= Karmann built 914 Targa
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.